"there's no AC" sensor switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Until I can figure out a more elegant solution, I'd like to add a UPS to my dvd player (modded for source use in my main audio system). It has a nasty turn on surge that blew some woofers (Accutons) in one channel of my stereo because my Pass amp has no output protection on it. (There was a power outage.) The thing is, I don't want the DVD player to be running of the UPS unless there's a power outage, so I was wondering if there's some kind of device I could install in the AC circuit of my dvd player that would monitor incoming AC and "open up" (to the UPS) if it senses a lack of incoming AC.

And since I'm guessing somebody's going to ask: I'm one of "those" that believes in AC power conditioning. After living with several over the years, I feel like I've finally got one that really improves the sound (compared to the sludge coming from the outlet) without any compromises. I certainly don't want to bypass my power conditioner in this temporary "no turn on thump" solution.

Thanks

hi

you need that : Relay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and chose the good one which is rated for your application.

on the normally open contact => the ups

common contact => you amp

normally closed contact => ac incoming

the most ups you'll find are designed to get between the ac power and the device and stay constantly active

AC power conditioning, i think that a good amp supply well designed don't need a good AC source. (Power-supply rejection)

Sola constant voltage transformers have the surge protection of UPS without the batteries and complex unreliability. They also soak up lightning strikes pretty well, especially in the bigger sizes. I've been in factories that use both on their expensive microprocessor equipment, and the solas last longer. Ishida scale did without either by protecting their switching power supplies by winding the incoming AC lines through a ferrite toroid once, and then putting MOV surge protectors on the input of the power supplies. I think they used the 500v version MOV, S14's. Lower voltage MOV's just wear themselves out protecting against motor turnoffs that the wiring can take. Not many blown up ishida scale computers, plenty of lightning here, must work.

Your UPS does exactly this already - senses when the line AC disappears and switches over. Moreover, some of them (the more expensive ones) act as line conditioners.

My 2 cents , (you may have to dig through the manual) is most of them have a power fail line that either goes high or low, and can be used to activate whatever you need to do when power fails and power comes back (computers use this bit through their serial connectors, and usually have a program which starts an orderly shut down if the AC is off for a set length of time)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.