Sony TA-F606ES channels unbalanced. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2011, 07:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sony TA-F606ES channels unbalanced.

Hi.
This amp got a lower left channel or somewhat a bit "muffled" in the top region. Tried cleaning the volumepot, a 4 pin type with center tap. I took the pot apart and had a look at it, no obvious tracks or other fault. Adjusted the bias to specified 24mV on both channels, no change. Sanded the output relays, same result. Could it be a dry cap or something in the center tap circuit messing up? Itīs a nice amplifier, mosfet driver and output stage. I would really like to get it sorted so I can use it for preamp paired with a couple of TA-N55ES. I have the servicemanual if anybody care to take a look at it. Itīs not easy to find a new pot either since itīs a 120k type and have the center tap..
Old 4th March 2011, 07:25 PM   #2
GoranB is offline GoranB  Poland
diyAudio Member

Send the service manual ill try to help
Old 4th March 2011, 07:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

A four pin type pot is used when in the preamp is loudness switch. It doesnt have to be a big problem to buy it. Try to take a look at circuit board from the bottom side, look carefully if all solder point are good soldered. Replace the input capacitors with same value ones, voltage and capacitance. I would change all capacitors. I dont know if you have the same problem on all inputs. Maybe some there are capacitors and resistors, check the soldering points.
Old 4th March 2011, 08:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

if your Sony have separated preamp board try to connect the outputs to another amplifier or to headphones. If all is fine, then you have a problem with power amp. If oposite, your preamp is the reason of the bad sound. Also you can skip the vol. pot. buy adding a 2 ressistors one in serie with inut signal and the second one to the ground. To ground try 47K and you can use 470k for input in series.
Old 4th March 2011, 08:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The amp does not have a loudness button. I have a regular alps 100k 3 pin type, what happens to the circuit if I put it in for a test?
Old 4th March 2011, 08:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Maybe your speakers are damaged, change the left speaker to right chanell and listen if you still have the problem.
Old 4th March 2011, 08:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Its hard to say without service manual what will happen if you put the 3 pin pot. As i said, try to locate the point when preamp and power amp are connected. take inputs from pream and use headphones.
Old 4th March 2011, 08:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Have tried several pairs of speakers, sources etc. Tried headphones just now, same imbalance and does not change pressing the mono switch or source direct. Iīll happily send you the manual, just need your email adress.
Old 4th March 2011, 08:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

rozmarihunter@yahoo.com
Old 4th March 2011, 08:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

11mb manual sendt.

Hide this!Advertise here!