Kenwood Basic C2 preamp mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to raise this thread from the dead again to get verification on what the stock capacitor value was across the RCA outputs. I see you can run it without any cap according to the OP? I lost this cap when I was working on various parts of it. I put Burson V6-OPA-D and V5i-D op-amps and I either removed the capacitor or it popped off. Looking at the schematic doesn't make it 100% obvious, at least not yet. Loads of capacitor labels on this PCB that aren't used and one of the places they did, there is no label on the PCB? lol

See a few pics of the Burson op-amps on my site, here: Old Meets New: Kenwood’s C-2 “Basic” Pre-amp gets a Burson Audio V6-OPA Facelift! – Hallman Labs

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
OK, so 2 years later I finally address this.

I picked up another C2 to use in the place of the funky one sold it after I picked up a Yamaha C-70 which I liked a bit better. Well, that one developed a volume pot issue too. so I plugged the first one back in to address the Yamaha. but the dropouts were still there and not so much in and outs when I turned the dial, but just drops that sometimes went away when I applied a little force to the shaft. Based on that, I decided to check out the solder joints.

After a quick search and some online digging on disassembly, i was able to reflow the 12 connections quickly. I am happy to report she now works just fine, and has been playing like a champ for the last 3 hours on the bench.

Sometimes, it's just the simple things....

I recently purchased a Basic C2 and noticed the balance pot was not working properly so I checked around and read some post on rebuilding the pot or simply soldering jumpers. I think I may have found another solution. I was visiting friends over the weekend and noticed a Kenwod KA-51B sitting on a shelf and it appears it also has a balance pot and it looks the same as the one used in the Basic C2 can anyone confirm that this will work as a suitable replacement?
Thanks in advance

Kenwood Basic C2

I repaired the Balance pot on my C2 also replaced all electrolytic capacitors and the Op Amps and it sounds amazing the bass tightened up real nice I also replaced the OP AMPS all 4 of them but I want to install better OP AMPS like Burson V5 or V6 but I would like to hear from others who have used these op amps or tried better op amps in their C1 or C2 TIA:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.