Ah holy hell....another damned newbie.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK well I dont have a clue what's going on when it comes to

circuit design, even after somehow having 6,000 post on caf.

eh....

Anyhow, I intend on learning from here, but Im slow.....

The deal is....I dont know what IC's, OP amps, rails, transitors

ect all do, much less even look like......

If someone wants to take the time to explain the basics, that'd

be great.......

Im sure you guys have some magic link that explains everything....

eh.......

Jeff

Welcome aboard and have fun learning!

I think each of us has our favorite books that we would recommend. One I highly recommend would be The ARRL Handbook put out by the American Radio Relay League. This is primarly written for ham radio guys, but it is a great overall book that talks about all things electric, and it has discussions on inductors and passive filters that many electronics texts omit, plus the book is oriented to the non-engineer.

Other than that, visit your local library and look through some of the electronics texts, check one out and go home and study. There is no magical way to learn electronics theory without studying and experimenting. Taking an introductory course in electronics at a local junior college or online is also a great way to learn if you need a little more structure.

If you have specific questions, come on back and ask. There are a great bunch of guys here, but you need to do your homework.

dc electronics
ac electronics
solid state electronics
digital electronics
etc.

some prefer this order for ease of learning.

before dc, some take courses that help you identify
components and learn resistor color codes -- to get
some hands on the stuff so when you study operation,
you have a mental picture of the said device....

art of electronics

I can't believe I'm the first to say it but the Art of Electronics is excellent. Doesn't have pictures of the components and its not free/cheap but it has basically everything you'd ever need. I've saved hours just being able to use it as a reference so I think of it as paying itself off rather quickly.

Everyone and their granny recommends this book,
I've been hearing it for a year now from people online.
I was going to buy it...

Then one day looking in my 'closet o'books', I found it.

/hahah

I think it was a gift.. forgot I had it.

It's a good jack of all trades book, but it's too generic for the
advance electronics junky who seeks the zen mastery
of electronic by injecting himself with needles.

/hahah

thylantyr said:
dc electronics
ac electronics
solid state electronics
digital electronics
etc.

some prefer this order for ease of learning.

before dc, some take courses that help you identify
components and learn resistor color codes -- to get
some hands on the stuff so when you study operation,
you have a mental picture of the said device....

I did have the codes down in my head, but amongst my post

whoring, I forgot them......

Austin said:
The articles on the ESP site can be very helpful too:

http://sound.westhost.com/

Austin

I've ran across that site many many times....I'll be sure to stay on it :)

thylantyr said:
Everyone and their granny recommends this book,
I've been hearing it for a year now from people online.
I was going to buy it...

Then one day looking in my 'closet o'books', I found it.

/hahah

I think it was a gift.. forgot I had it.

It's a good jack of all trades book, but it's too generic for the
advance electronics junky who seeks the zen mastery
of electronic by injecting himself with needles.

/hahah

Wow......you can even be scary WITHOUT bad jokes ;)

Oh damn Im gonna have a blast with these smilies.....

Jeff

Good to see a familiar CAF'er join the board! I DO like CAF and everything but over here I'm learning much more.

Thylantyr, hows your monster garage (was it the AV800) amp doing? Were you able to organize a group buy for the PCB's? I'd like to know what you've been upto the last couple of months.

Pimp, I don't know of any beginner electronics books (except my textbooks) that I could recommend but G. Randy Slone's High Power Audio Amplifier Construction Manual is a great one that explores many different ways of designing input, VA, and output stages as well as many other topics involved in construction. First and foremost though, learn how all the components work and relate to one another--that is key. It WILL require alot of effort on your behalf but in the end you'll be able to build your own amplification, processing, features, protection, etc for alot less money than buying them already put together.

Anyway, welcome to the board, dude!

hieroglyphics said:
Good to see a familiar CAF'er join the board! I DO like CAF and everything but over here I'm learning much more.

Thylantyr, hows your monster garage (was it the AV800) amp doing? Were you able to organize a group buy for the PCB's? I'd like to know what you've been upto the last couple of months.

Pimp, I don't know of any beginner electronics books (except my textbooks) that I could recommend but G. Randy Slone's High Power Audio Amplifier Construction Manual is a great one that explores many different ways of designing input, VA, and output stages as well as many other topics involved in construction. First and foremost though, learn how all the components work and relate to one another--that is key. It WILL require alot of effort on your behalf but in the end you'll be able to build your own amplification, processing, features, protection, etc for alot less money than buying them already put together.

Anyway, welcome to the board, dude!

Thanks dude!!!!

Yeah I was sorta feelin a little lonely over here.....heh......

God forbid I'm as bad at this as I am in car audio :headbash:

Jeffy

I finished layout for the model 2800 pcb (av800 w/28 outputs).
I finished layout for the model 4000 pcb (av800 w/40 outputs).

I haven't organized any group buys because... I'm not ready /lol
This project was suppose to happen next year while I work
on my speaker project.. But due to vendors lagging on me,
taking their sweet time to get some work done, I got angry
and flushed out some of the amplifier project...

I have the amplifier document 99% done, all I need is
a protection circuit parts list to be added. If you want to
proof read it, let me know.. it's almost a 10 meg file. /hehe

I finally got my machined parts for the speaker project after 4-5
months of waiting, but the machinist kinda choked, he didn't
do his homework on 'chrome plating' and underestimated
the cost *and* didn't 'finish' the pieces to accomdate the
plating -- he sanded my aluminum plates to 'grain' it with
100 grit - heheh counterproductive.. So, I took over
and I'm doing the labor to get the aluminim polished before
sending it out to plate... this is consuming more $$$ and
lots of time... <boo> going from 100 grit to 1500 grit,
then the buffer.. /hehe I have over 100 pieces to polish,
all sides. /hehe

pics of what I'm polishing...
http://home.pacbell.net/lordpk/speaker/photo.html

Then, my Lambda woofers, the uber Apollos have not
arrived yet.. The order was placed in Nov. 2002 and in
January 2003, I increased the order qty.. According
to Nick, everything was finally shipped 2 weeks ago..
.. we shall see if I get the goods ... <boo>

The polishing of parts is pretty much eating my time and
I'm unable to prototype the amplifier - to verify that the av800
sounds acceptable before sending out the boards for fab.

:devilr: :devilr: :devilr: :dead: :devilr: :devilr: :devilr:

hehe, well you've been doing more than I have :cannotbe:
Over 100 pieces to polish!? Are you making a line array or exactly why do you need 100 pieces? Selling em?
I haven't done much. I just received my 750VA transformer but now I need rail capacitors and THEN begin to make something.
My variable power supply is coming along I just need to find an LM317 and a couple other doodads that I couldn't find locally. Plus I need the initiative to get off my **** and start doing some more reading and brush up on my AC analysis. ...but drinking beer and watching tv is so much easier :drink:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Another way to get started in electronics is to take a course at your local junior college. They cover the basics- Ohm's law, what things look like, using a scope (which they have racks of) and almost always have a few hands on projects. This gets you started doing stuf instead of putting it off until you know more (people have an aversion to actually doing stuff often, and keep waiting until they learn a bit more before starting....... as mentioned, this is exactly the wrong approach with electronics)
You then get to know the teachers, and they are a good resource) The classes do go quite slowly as the teacher explains the same thing 50 times on various days, but I think the advantages outweigh the dis.

In the US, taking these junior college classes is usually really cheap. One of the things the US is really doing right :eek:

Are you making a line array

A mini-array... four planers, four 8" midrange per side
flanked by two 15" below and one 15" above, 90" tall.

I did some more listening tests, this is pure madness,
just one of those tweeters and midrange is more than
enough to beat somebody down with clean SPL. I guess
I want to build something .. where you inject some madness
and art form into the concept -- to be unusual .. if I want
something politically correct, then I'll just by some $200
headphones and call it a day.

/crazy

Randy Slone's books

hieroglyphics said:

What's CAF and CAT? Yes, me newbie. :confused:

Pimp, I don't know of any beginner electronics books (except my textbooks) that I could recommend but G. Randy Slone's High Power Audio Amplifier Construction Manual is a great one

Randy Slone is a great author. Not only that, he is an amazingly patient and willing teacher. He actually responds to emails from his readers, and actually explains technical issues. He's responded to all my mails, and I've written dozens to him. The topics cover construction techniques, electronic design issues, parts availability, and simple beginner doubts. This effort he puts into educating his readers puts him in a totally separate category. Don't know how many good authors do this. Moreover, he loves music, has played some instruments in a band, and is intimately familiar with audio equipment in studio and stage situations. All this makes him an extremely rare mix of solid theory, practical learning by experimenting with electronics, and years of on-the-field insight. And all this shows up in his books.

Other than his Audiophile Projects Sourcebook and High Power Amp Construction Manual, he has also written the TAB Electronics Guide to Understanding Electricity and Electronics. I have used this beginner's book, together with that bible others have mentioned above, The Art of Electronics, to understand how a single transistor works. It wasn't easy for a beginner like me (and I had a background in resistors and caps before I started). But then, I'm slow on the uptake... my question-filled posts on diyaudio will tell you. :D

Check the following:
Audiophile Projects Sourcebook: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071379290
High Power Audio Amplifier Construction Manual: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071341196
Tab Electronics Guide to Understanding Electricity and Electronics: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071360573
Art of Electronics: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/textbooks/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?isbn=0521370957
I have all of these books, and have tried reading most parts of the first two, large parts of the third, and small parts of the fourth. I'll not regret even a single paisa of the money spent on them.

I also just discovered that there's a followup to the "Art": the Student Manual for the Art of Electronics: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/textbooks/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=0521377099
Since this is written by the authors of the original "Art", I presume it'll be brilliant too.

If, after all this, you want to get deeper specifically into audio power amps, there's a serious text by Douglas Self (Audio Power Amplifier Handbook) and some readable books by Exalted Guru J Linsley Hood (whose thirty-year-old power-amp design has been dissected to death on this Website at http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=3075). I would however suggest that you try to get some idea of the earlier books first, and then go to Amazon, read the sample pages of Self's and Hood's books, and then decide whether you need them. They're good books, but they overlap with material covered in the earlier ones.

There does not seem to be any book covering digital audio electronics (e.g. DACs, ADCs) and control electronics (e.g. microprocessor-based IR remote controls for audio systems) from the DIY or practitioner's point of view half as well as Randy Slone covers analog audio electronics in his books. There are plenty of books covering theory in these things, but you'll be hard pressed to find a PCB layout in any of them. I hope someone proves me wrong here. :)

When I had bought the "Art", B&N was offering it for USD 63 and Amazon for USD 70. I bought from B&N. Now it appears both are offering it for USD 75. Tough. :(

The Art of Electronics is an unusual book in many respects, not least because of the cult following it enjoys. (A friend who designs very difficult electronics has six copies of the book, across various editions.) One way in which this book is unique is that it is a "crossover" book, discussed as an academic text as well as used by practising engineers. Randy Slone's books are superb books for the practitioner; this means the only professor who will discuss them in class is someone who has worked with electronics components with his hands. In India, such professors are a rarity... most would feel threatened by a book which highlights differences between theory and practice. Not many electronics professors are like Prof. Leach (low TIM amp) and not many computer science profs are like Don Knuth (who actually wrote software to create the brilliant TeX system, among other things.) So, the "Art" is a must-have. If you are buying just one book to understand electronics, this book should be it. And after you reach Guru status, you will still find this book a good reference. That's what other Gurus tell me... I have no experience of that state yet. :D

Tarun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.