Wiring a XLR plug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone

I bought this Neutrik PCB mount 3 pole XLR plug from Premier Electronics. The XLR plug has 4 pins. As far as I know #1 pin should be connected to GND, #2 to Cold & #3 to Hot but I have no idea about #4 therefore would anyone please tell me what is the function or connection of the # 4 pin of this plug?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMGP0081.JPG
    IMGP0081.JPG
    406.1 KB · Views: 455
Hello everyone

I bought this Neutrik PCB mount 3 pole XLR plug from Premier Electronics. The XLR plug has 4 pins. As far as I know #1 pin should be connected to GND, #2 to Cold & #3 to Hot but I have no idea about #4 therefore would anyone please tell me what is the function or connection of the # 4 pin of this plug?
Thanks.

That is actually a PC board mount jack so it will be a bit inconvenient to connect wires to. Pin 4 is the outer shell of the connector and it's generally connected to pin 1.

BTW in the US pin 2 is considered 'hot' and pin 3 'cold' but it's only a problem if the phase is reversed accidentally.

That is actually a PC board mount jack so it will be a bit inconvenient to connect wires to. Pin 4 is the outer shell of the connector and it's generally connected to pin 1.

BTW in the US pin 2 is considered 'hot' and pin 3 'cold' but it's only a problem if the phase is reversed accidentally.

Hi stratus

Thank you very much for your inputs. Yes I need the US connection therefore I will correct the pins to read as:
Pin 1: Gnd
Pin 2: Hot
Pin 3: Cold

The pin 1 problem Andrew mentioned has caused many a problem with RFI or ground loops. My favorite explanation to pin 1 problems is found in Rane's Handbook.

Grounding and Shielding Audio Devices

Hi Gray

This is a very good and clear diagram for wiring. Thank you for attach it here.

In this diagram, it has singal and chassis grounds, in addition, there will be a power ground, therefore there will have 3 grounds in an amplifier. Would anyone please correct me if I am wrong?

Enclosed is a schematic of the Unbalance to Balance Converter which I am going to build. It seems to me that the drawing of Input Signal and Input Ground is an error drawing. Would anyone clarify for it?

Thanks

Attachments

• NeveUnBalToBalConverter.gif
    NeveUnBalToBalConverter.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 256
Personally I'd use lower value build out resistors - maybe 27 rather than 120 ohms and also delete the capacitors - but that's just me.

Hi stratus

What would be the different if change resistor value from 120 Ohm to 27 Ohm in this circuit? Please advice.
I do not feel comfortable with the 47uF capacitors too but as far as I know they are coupling capacitors for blocking the DC at output stage, deleting these capacitors probably will create a DC voltage to harm the power amplifier and speakers. What do you think?

I still see the XLR output pin #1 connected to audio (circuit) ground.
Pin #1 is not part of the audio circuit, it only connects to the chassis/enclosure. And then with a 2cm (or less) wire.

For my own use I use a low value resistor in the ground line. Most ground loop _Voltages_ are quite low but the currents can get high. A 10 ohm resistor in the ground line will drop those currents dramatically. Don't worry about hum. That's why you have balanced audio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.