diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Wiring a XLR plug (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/184009-wiring-xlr-plug.html)

SSDIY 26th February 2011 11:32 PM

Wiring a XLR plug

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone

I bought this Neutrik PCB mount 3 pole XLR plug from Premier Electronics. The XLR plug has 4 pins. As far as I know #1 pin should be connected to GND, #2 to Cold & #3 to Hot but I have no idea about #4 therefore would anyone please tell me what is the function or connection of the # 4 pin of this plug?
Thanks.

stratus46 27th February 2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDIY (Post 2484369)
Hello everyone

I bought this Neutrik PCB mount 3 pole XLR plug from Premier Electronics. The XLR plug has 4 pins. As far as I know #1 pin should be connected to GND, #2 to Cold & #3 to Hot but I have no idea about #4 therefore would anyone please tell me what is the function or connection of the # 4 pin of this plug?
Thanks.

That is actually a PC board mount jack so it will be a bit inconvenient to connect wires to. Pin 4 is the outer shell of the connector and it's generally connected to pin 1.

BTW in the US pin 2 is considered 'hot' and pin 3 'cold' but it's only a problem if the phase is reversed accidentally.

G

AndrewT 27th February 2011 10:10 AM

Pin 4 would use a second shield or a drain wire to connect the two chassis together.
Pin 1 should be tested to exclude the Pin1 problem

SSDIY 27th February 2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratus46 (Post 2484399)
That is actually a PC board mount jack so it will be a bit inconvenient to connect wires to. Pin 4 is the outer shell of the connector and it's generally connected to pin 1.

BTW in the US pin 2 is considered 'hot' and pin 3 'cold' but it's only a problem if the phase is reversed accidentally.

G

Hi stratus

Thank you very much for your inputs. Yes I need the US connection therefore I will correct the pins to read as:
Pin 1: Gnd
Pin 2: Hot
Pin 3: Cold

SSDIY 27th February 2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewT (Post 2484753)
Pin 4 would use a second shield or a drain wire to connect the two chassis together.
Pin 1 should be tested to exclude the Pin1 problem

Hi Andrew

Thank you very much for your inputs too. But I do not surely understand what do you mean two chassis and what is pin 1 problem. Please give more details.
Thanks in advance.

AndrewT 27th February 2011 01:55 PM

the XLR cable connects the two chassis.
Google gives 9.5M results to pin1 problem

Speedskater 27th February 2011 04:26 PM

Pin #1 is NOT connected to Audio Ground.
Pin #1 is NOT connected to Power Supply Ground.

Pin #1 is connected to the Chassis with a very short wire.

SSDIY 27th February 2011 11:40 PM

Hi Andrwe & Kevin

I understand now. Thank you for giving the information.

gray5596 28th February 2011 01:20 AM

The pin 1 problem Andrew mentioned has caused many a problem with RFI or ground loops. My favorite explanation to pin 1 problems is found in Rane's Handbook.

Grounding and Shielding Audio Devices

SSDIY 28th February 2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray5596 (Post 2485625)
The pin 1 problem Andrew mentioned has caused many a problem with RFI or ground loops. My favorite explanation to pin 1 problems is found in Rane's Handbook.

Grounding and Shielding Audio Devices

Hi Gray

This is a very good and clear diagram for wiring. Thank you for attach it here.

In this diagram, it has singal and chassis grounds, in addition, there will be a power ground, therefore there will have 3 grounds in an amplifier. Would anyone please correct me if I am wrong?