Wiring a XLR plug - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2011, 10:41 AM   #51
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I think the term "gnd" is confusing.
Should all these connections be labeled "chassis"?
Old 16th March 2011, 07:27 PM   #52
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDIY View Post
Hi benb

Thanks again for your information.
I don't have any specific problem with my stereo set up but personal feeling is balanced sounds better than unbalanced connection. That's the reason I am trying to change my entire stereo system from single ended to balanced.
If there's no hum or other externally induced sounds (like a whine when an electric blender is turned on) in your system, I suspect going balanced won't change anything. If not done "right" it could change things for the worse, such as the mention of the CD player driving the low-impedance input of the unbalanced-to-balanced circuit shown.

There may be opinions otherwise, and if so I'd like to hear them.
Quote:
Found this US & European XLR connector wiring from Threshold service manual:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
I think the term "gnd" is confusing.
Should all these connections be labeled "chassis"?
For someone with a "first course" in general electronics, they know exactly what is meant by "gnd" - the chassis, the signal ground on the PCB, or whatever, as "it doesn't matter because they're all connected together." But as we've discussed in this thread, it DOES matter.

One can only presume the pin 1 on each chassis is connected to an appropriate place. This diagram is just to show the wiring of the cables, anyway.

The page is dated "1-26-89." It shows the US standard as Pin 1 being the "cold" or out of phase signal. I've known of the US "Pin 1 hot" standard since the late '90's, so either the standard changed within a ten-year period, or that page is based on an older US standard.

I've sometimes wondered if I should have an AES membership so I could search through back issues of its Journal so I can answer such "important" questions as when the pin 2 hot standard was introduced.
Old 16th March 2011, 07:58 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Found this US & European XLR connector wiring from Threshold service manual:
That is great from a historical perspective, but the AES abandoned the unique US configuration in a 1990 revision to it's standard (AES-014) that dates back to the practice of Ampex's adoption of the XLR connector in 1950. It should only be necessary for products made in the USA prior to 1990, and even then, the AES made the revision based on a poll of it's US member manufacturers, the majority of whom had been using the International Standard for some time.

The AES adopted the International Standard for microphones in 1975. The US motion picture industry created a new standard in 1986 reflecting industry practice with pin 2 hot.

Everything these days should be wired pin 2 hot.

When equipment wired to differing standards are interconnected with non-crossover cables, the signal phase is reversed and the shield is unaffected. The current standard worldwide including the US is pin 1 shield, pin 2 signal hot and Pin 3 signal return; the old AES was pin 1 shield, pin 2 signal return and pin 3 signal hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

One can only presume the pin 1 on each chassis is connected to an appropriate place. This diagram is just to show the wiring of the cables, anyway.

The page is dated "1-26-89." It shows the US standard as Pin 1 being the "cold" or out of phase signal. I've known of the US "Pin 1 hot" standard since the late '90's, so either the standard changed within a ten-year period, or that page is based on an older US standard.
I don't really know of any gear that should be wired with pin 1 as anything but shield. Certainly it's not part of any standards I'm familiar with; AES-014 (sometime in the 1950's); IEC Publication 268, Part 12 (1975); Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers: SMPTE Polarity for Analog Audio Magnetic Recording and Reproduction, RP-134-1986 (1986); European Broadcast Union :EBU Technical Recommendation R50-1988 "Conservation of the Polarity of Audio Signals in Radio and Television Production Installations".
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 16th March 2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 17th March 2011, 01:36 AM   #54
SSDIY is offline SSDIY  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrew, benb & Johnny

Thank you very much for all your inputs. The information you guys given are useful and very helpful.
Old 17th March 2011, 05:22 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2Bad View Post
That is great from a historical perspective, but the AES abandoned the unique US configuration in a 1990 revision to it's standard (AES-014) that dates back to the practice of Ampex's adoption of the XLR connector in 1950. It should only be necessary for products made in the USA prior to 1990, and even then, the AES made the revision based on a poll of it's US member manufacturers, the majority of whom had been using the International Standard for some time.

The AES adopted the International Standard for microphones in 1975. The US motion picture industry created a new standard in 1986 reflecting industry practice with pin 2 hot.

Everything these days should be wired pin 2 hot.

When equipment wired to differing standards are interconnected with non-crossover cables, the signal phase is reversed and the shield is unaffected. The current standard worldwide including the US is pin 1 shield, pin 2 signal hot and Pin 3 signal return; the old AES was pin 1 shield, pin 2 signal return and pin 3 signal hot.

I don't really know of any gear that should be wired with pin 1 as anything but shield. Certainly it's not part of any standards I'm familiar with; AES-014 (sometime in the 1950's); IEC Publication 268, Part 12 (1975); Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers: SMPTE Polarity for Analog Audio Magnetic Recording and Reproduction, RP-134-1986 (1986); European Broadcast Union :EBU Technical Recommendation R50-1988 "Conservation of the Polarity of Audio Signals in Radio and Television Production Installations".
That hot/cold pin 2/3 is kind of a red herring. Does your gear _really_ pass the signal through with the positive peak still the positive peak?

I found an easy way to check that by placing a diode across the balanced input and use a scope to see which peak is clipped on the input and then check the output to verify.

Infinitely more important to not have interchannel phase errors - mis-wired connectors.

G

Hide this!Advertise here!