Help with inductor choice in power supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2011, 08:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help with inductor choice in power supply

Hello,
I am about to start building a pair of Aussieamp NX150 mono blocks and would like some advice with my power supply. I have a pair of Peranders Sjostrom SPS01 High Performance Power Supply boards I will be using. These will be mated each to an Antek 400VA 45-0 45-0 toroid transformer. I will be using 10,000uf 80v caps for a total of 80,000uf per channel. What I was thinking of doing was using the inductor option the board allows in place of a resistor to create a CLC instead of the usual CRC. Where I would like some advice is the coice of inductor for each rail ( two per power supply ). How many Henries and how many amps should my inductor provide/handle?

In case I choose to use the CRC option my second question would be the rating on the resistor....what ohm and wattage would be most appropriate for this amp.

Details of the amp can be found here:

NX150 High End Amplifier Module

Thanks for your assistance,
Jeff
Old 24th February 2011, 12:03 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I would base the Inductor parameters on the recommended resistor value in the CRC supply.

If the R is 2r2, then I would look at using and inductor with less than half this resistance, i.e. <=1r1. This resistance will determine the power that will be dissipated in the inductor.

You certainly don't need H
mH or uH will be sufficient.

Download PsudII and input the data for your transformer and your capacitance and compare the results between CRC and CLC. you can adjust the H and the resistance of the H to see how it affects output ripple.

But there is a problem.

a CRC or CLC PSU has special duties that the components must survive and special requirements which it must satisfy.
1.) the first C takes an enormous ripple current, Psud will tell you how big at various loadings. The capacitors that you use must have a ripple current rating that exceeds what you think will be an average of your operating conditions. Party music conditions may be your worst case.
2.) the last C supplies most of the transient current that the speaker demands. This capacitor must deliver that current on demand. It affects the sound that comes out of the speakers. Choose sufficient capacitance to deliver the peak currents and choose a type that can deliver that current quickly enough. This depends on many parameters. ESR, ESL, DF etc have some link to sound quality. A good audio cap should be designed to give good sound by adjusting those parameters that affect sound quality. Ordinary electrolytics may have some of these parameters but there is no guarantee from any of them, mostly because "we" the customer cannot specify what it is that we need.

Last edited by AndrewT; 24th February 2011 at 12:05 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!