Stolen Trademark Amplifier from Jim's Audio on EBAY - Page 49 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2013, 11:16 AM   #481
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Reminds me of a set up I saw many years ago. They would set up out of a truck with piles of speakers in "store brand" boxes and piles of off branded electronics. They gave the impression everything was hot. In actuality, it was just really really cheap junk and they were making a killing selling to people who bought the idea "PNR" was a customer branded same as Pioneer, and they were getting stolen high end for a song. I am not sure who had less morals, seller or buyer.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us" POGO
Old 24th February 2014, 11:59 PM   #482
spurlte is offline spurlte  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Almost there.

Well, here is for the effort. It's a mess but I fired up the main board and used it as a headphone/preamp with 20volts and 1.5A from variable power supply while hooked up to an iPod, Allman Bros' 'Eat a Peach'. Really nice. Sounding very aggressive, robust, with no noise. Next step is to hook it all up to can caps, output transistors and heat sinks. This will be my last 'STOLEN' bought project though. In the last year and a half, I have learn much and entered into a new world that I will never forget and thank all those you threw their kind help this way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Main Board Testing with Variable PS.jpg (77.3 KB, 755 views)
File Type: jpg Main Board Testing with PS.jpg (89.6 KB, 744 views)
Old 25th February 2014, 11:54 AM   #483
diyAudio Member

Nice work David! Glad to hear it is working okay. Finally you can enjoy the sound that this wonderfull amp conducts. Now it is time to mount everything into a nice cabinet

It has been a while since I have posted over here. Busy times for Kaplaars. It suprises me is that someone choose to rename this tread. 'Stolen trademark'... so we are thieves now. Classy...

David, hey, don't let them knock you down. We have to complete that Goldmund clone in the future!

Remember, there are billions of people, and billions of different opinions. Most of them are (unfortunatelly) biassed because people tend to react emotional, which now and then results in childish, unrational, (jealous?) and dictatorial behavoir. There are always people who need to nag. So a rational discussion based on facts is not always possible. This forum seems to be no exeption. Which I actually did not expect. After all, we share more or less the same interests.

Before someone thinks it is needed to intervene; it is not my intention to start the previous discussion again, and I wont respond on further comments about this quarrel.
But I do like to say; David, keep up the good work! Don't stop building, cloning, or how they call it over here, stealing. You and I know it is different, and that is what matters!
Old 25th February 2014, 02:40 PM   #484
diyAudio Member

Yes. I am interested in the Goldmund clone. When I test the main board without connecting the outputs and play music with headphones to drivers pads 1 or 2 I get clean sounds with absolutely no noise. But when I connect outputs I get just a very little rush sound at speaker biased to 250mV. Now remember, I am using a DC variable power supply @ 20 to 30V/1.5 to 2amps. Maybe power supply I injecting noise. Will check with oscilloscope later. I came to believe that some of the criticisms are valid using bought clones. As I read other threads--such as MPP (My Personal Preamp) thread and especially the first KSA-100 thread, there were those who built the PCBs mainly with the intent to share their efforts only charging DIYers production cost and shipping. With this in mind, AndrewT is right....... So I just recently purchased some Pinkmouse KSA-50 PCBs for a later build (right now I am overwhelmed). But if it weren't for your technical abilities and willing to share, we (and the Asian vendor), would never have figured out Asian manufacture's print and physical mistake on the PCBs. But, like you said, for a retired guy who needed something to do during the winter and allow me to reminisce the old days in the Army's 11th Signal Battalion helping the radio repair tech (1973-75 in Germany.
Old 11th March 2014, 02:44 AM   #485
diyAudio Member

Default Sounds wonderful

After insuring the mainboard behaves , I connected it to the output transistors/heat sinks. It sounds wonderful. I have never heard such warm, robust sounds with crisp cymbals in the background. It's only running on a 24cvt/2Amps transformer with 18000uf/75v caps with ~15vdc on rails. After I hook each channels to their PSU (40v/1kVA), I realize these transfos are very big and after hearing how this amp sounds with only ~15volts/2amps, I also realize I need maybe just 33 to 35volts. Then I will need to find a good DAC. I need to match analog lossless music to the analog capability of this class A amp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg It works.jpg (204.6 KB, 508 views)

Last edited by spurlte; 11th March 2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old 21st March 2014, 02:04 PM   #486
diyAudio Member

OK. I am ready to fire up with full 40-0-40v, 1k transformers. 37,000uF/75v caps. Yes I know that is a lot, but that's all I have. Will use small bias and I read much on what to do to set bias (light bulb), but a haven't clue how to set feedback variable resistor. Help anyone?
Old 21st March 2014, 05:13 PM   #487
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The bulb tester is to protect against damage due to a mistake in the wiring.

Do not use the bulb tester during output bias setting.
Old 22nd March 2014, 05:12 AM   #488
diyAudio Member

Thanks AndrewT.
Old 26th March 2014, 03:18 AM   #489
diyAudio Member

Default Getting There

Okay. I made another step toward completion. I just need to adjust feedback. See the light bulb in the background? Fan will end up below. Thanks to Stuart for the heat sinks. Thanks Kaplaars for the inspiration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Build 1.jpg (611.6 KB, 292 views)

Last edited by spurlte; 26th March 2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old 25th July 2014, 01:38 AM   #490
diyAudio Member

I don't care what anyone says. This setup sounds fantastic. The biggest cost was the transformers and that would be for any amplifier setup. It has sounds that takes me back 45 years. It is my first amp project and realize I jumped in head first and began to think I bit off more than I could chew, but now I am really glad I did. I have learned so much and the best part, I have much more to learn. Thanks to all that helped. You know who you are. The rest..... You can attract more bees with honey than with vinegar.
What else is a retired man to do? Plant sunflower seeds and watch them grow? What would I do during the winter? Ice fishing? Now-a-days you can't even eat the fish you catch.

Hide this!Advertise here!