Stolen Trademark Amplifier from Jim's Audio on EBAY - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2012, 04:23 AM   #121
Rewind is offline Rewind  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Pricey ........ worth it ...?
That remains to be heard! He sent me the two pcbs with a few nice parts, like paper oil caps for $50, and he got me two toroidal transformers made with russian military grade materail (220V: 39V, 58V) for 150 including shipping. And he gave me many hints.

Last edited by Rewind; 20th June 2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 20th June 2012, 04:51 AM   #122
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

extremely pricey given they appear to be fairly standard 2 layer PCBs.....
Old 20th June 2012, 07:07 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

The layout of that board looks a lot like the one created by member PWatts for the KSA-100MKII clone group buy. The placement of R36 and R37 were discussed and could be improved, but that board has them in their original locations. The seller did not make any effort to create his own version.
Old 20th June 2012, 03:11 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

I have my doubts about the so called superioty of the other boards compaired to the ones from Jims Audio. If that would be the case, the original KSA-100 is inferior too, because Jims boards are exactely the same... My personal consideration and decision to go for Jims boards was that they are just like the original ones, and that was what I wanted, an orinal copy :-). And to be fair, they are great quality, thick tracks and gold plated contacts, they look more rigide than the other ones to me.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:04 AM   #125
spurlte is offline spurlte  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Jim's Audio 50/100 MK II BOARDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Pricey ........ worth it ...?
Here is a completed KSA 50. See for yourself. My Completed Krell KSA 50 Clone - Pics
Old 21st June 2012, 12:19 AM   #126
spurlte is offline spurlte  United States
diyAudio Member

Jim's Audio informed me a couple of weeks ago, that they are thinking of putting together a kit of some sort for this amplifier. They must be doing well with this amplifier obviously with the help of diyaudio.com and it's esteemed members.
Old 23rd June 2012, 08:09 PM   #127
xslavic is offline xslavic  Moldova
diyAudio Member

Default who cares ..

i have the real clone of ksa 100 mkII
i can provide Transformers for this one,or any other type ,custom made
Old 27th June 2012, 01:16 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Unfortunatelly no further progress made, so no pictures, but I have a few questions about the build instead :-) First, Jims Audio boards use 2SJ313 / 2SK1023 instead of VP/VN0210N5. When I compare the datasheets, I see little difference, but to be fair I dont really know which parameter is more important than the other. Are there advantages or disadvantages to use one or another? Is the 2SJ313 / 2SK1023 preferable above Zetex ZVP3310 and ZVN3310 which are used in other builds, and why?

I also wanted to ask if it is sane to use fuses in the secondairy rails. I’ve seen designs in which secondairy fuses are used. Mostly after the bridge rectifier and the electrolytic capacitors, so charge pulses caused by charging the capacitors would not destroy the fuses. When you are already using a primairy fuse, is it neccesairy to use them in the secondairies also?

My last question is about the zener diodes. I’ve red the following in the 'big' KSA-100 threat:
Keep the zeners to 400mW or 500mW singles. Duals will need twice as much current to get around the knee of the IV curve. 1.3W types will need three times the current (have pity on the dropping resistor and internal temperatures).’ I can understand that when you set Zeners in series they will eat more current. But is there a difference in Zener current when you use a 1.3 W 39V zener or a 400mW zener?

I've uploaded the datasheets of the FET's here:
http://michaelq.home.xs4all.nl/Datasheets/2SJ313.pdf
http://michaelq.home.xs4all.nl/Datasheets/2SK2013.pdf
http://michaelq.home.xs4all.nl/Datasheets/VN0210N5.pdf
http://michaelq.home.xs4all.nl/Datasheets/VP0210N5.pdf
Old 27th June 2012, 02:18 PM   #129
xslavic is offline xslavic  Moldova
diyAudio Member

Default hi

zvps are higher build qulity ,better materials
zeners power is relative to voltage voltage vs Watt
Old 27th June 2012, 02:29 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Hi Xslavic,

Thanks for your reply. That seems contradictionairy, because they are much smaller than the 2SJ313 and 2SK2013's, so they can dissipate less. Which parameters are better than the 2SJ313 and 2SK2013's?

I am sorried, but I don't entirely know what you mean with: zeners power is relative to voltage voltage vs Watt.

What is the difference between a 1.3W zener and a 400mW zener? The power they can dissipate? Or the power they need?

Hide this!Advertise here!