Stolen Trademark Amplifier from Jim's Audio on EBAY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
KSA-100 Power Supply

Started on putting the Power Supply components into the case. Boy, it is HEAVY. Now when I go to second hand stores and see used amplifiers, I just pick it up to see if it's heavy. HA-HA.

Attachments

• KSA 100 P.S.jpg
    KSA 100 P.S.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 710
  • KSA CASE.jpg
    KSA CASE.jpg
    773.8 KB · Views: 662
Wow, when you see it in this perspective those transformers are really huge! I like them. Will that become the PSU-box for the KSA David?

Haha, you better prepare, it will only get heavier :D Mine is almost like a boat anchor when lifting it up. But hey, great excuse to quit my fitness subscription ;)

See it from the bright side David after lifting the KSA a dozen of times you will gain the same muscles like Arnold Schwarzenegger had in his glory days :D

Well going to sleep now, but, to quote Arnold 'I'll be back' ;)

PSU-Box

Wow, when you see it in this perspective those transformers are really huge! I like them. Will that become the PSU-box for the KSA David?

Haha, you better prepare, it will only get heavier :D Mine is almost like a boat anchor when lifting it up. But hey, great excuse to quit my fitness subscription ;)

See it from the bright side David after lifting the KSA a dozen of times you will gain the same muscles like Arnold Schwarzenegger had in his glory days :D

Well going to sleep now, but, to quote Arnold 'I'll be back' ;)
I hope so. It's not too much? My growing muscles are over. I want to use my brains for now for a change and let electronics do the work. It was really cute how the soft-start had a tiny jumper from PP to 220v and I had to resolder the little jumper to convert the soft-start to 110volts. The PSU-Box is very tight with those transformers, so I created a bridge across the inner-box so I can attached the terminals, soft-start and maybe the bridges. Tomorrow, I will go to the scrap metal yard to find some copper plates to run across the neg poles of the can-capacitors. Sleep well and have a good day, David

KSA-100 PSU

I fabricated a bar across across the top of the PSU.

Any other suggestions? Kaplaars, I wish I had a boat to attach an anchor. My dream is to own a very small sail boat to sail on the Lake Michigan. During the summer, especially on the 4th of July, our Independence Day, if you have a boat of any sort, you can anchor near the shores of the down town area at night and watch the fire works. I will have an extra 13v/1amp secondary and was thinking I could put a small computer fan atop the PSU.

Attachments

• KSA-100 PSU.jpg
    KSA-100 PSU.jpg
    809.7 KB · Views: 763
  • Chicago 4th of July.jpg
    Chicago 4th of July.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 681
Wow, that is really cool David, I would love that too. The fireworks in the picture are amazing. I once sat on a little boat sailing through the canals of Utrecht. The canals in Utrecht are a bit similair to the canals in Amsterdam. Very much fun. I like the old setting of Utrecht. Even wanted to go study at the university of Utrecht but.... although the city is very cool, the study itself (chemistry) appealed a bit boring to me compairing to Moleculair Life Sciences here in Wageningen.

My transformers stay very cool David they radiate almost no heat. I think yours will stay even cooler because they seem to be even larger than mine. Therefore I don't think you will need forced cooling for the PSU. Especially when the core material of the transformers is quality and the wires are thick.

NTCs

Hi Spurlte ;)

Nice toroidal transformers you have there :up:

Where did you get those beauties?

Will you use NTC for inrush current delay?

And don't forget small values decoupling capacitors in the PSU ...

Best regards, Andrej
Andrej, look back a few pages and you will see the url for diycable.com and we are using a soft-start with NTCs, relay and temperature protection.

Cooling System.

I,m surprized your putting 2 toroids in one box. Why not build seperate monoblocks with short supply connections to the boards?
At least it will save your back:wchair:

Regards
David
I could do that but I wanted the TO3s in it own environment with its own cooling system. The PSU will be right next store and the supply connections will be short. I may even put a sheet of electro-magnetic shield of MU-metals between the two chassis and have them tightly sit together with very short connections, but you do have a point thank you. I was just thinking of the dust and the interference from the transformers and cooling fans and the added heat. Once I built this beast, it will stay in one place in my finished basement. The KSA-100 will generate enough heat during the winter as I build another project. Hopefully a speaker system to tame this beast. Any suggestions?

Every mono I built I put the toroid up against the front panel with the caps and bridges behind that with the board at the back or middle vertically.
All in an goal to minimize wiring to its shortest length possible. You also by default, get maximum electrical isolation for each channel.
This also allows short speaker cables with your amps close to your speakers
Never had any hum or negative interaction from the PS ever
Thats my way, but its your build and at the end of the day, its your creation!

Regards
David

I have sort of the same configuration as AVWERK uses, although I have mounted the boards horizontally. This gave me the option to make cables in my configuration even shorter.

I am always surprised when repairing an amplifier. I use thick 6mm2 Oehlbach (did not care about the brand, I don't believe in special cables, but..... bought it cheap from a guy that moved to another house :D), but when I see the cables in the amplifier to the speaker terminals itself, they are most often lousy 1,5 mm thick cables (yes in very expensive amplifiers too). Probably due to the short distance. But I like to eggagerate, so I will 6mm2 thick cable for the speakers in my KSA clone.

Speaking of which, did some 'ground work' ;)

I've mounted the ground plane. Changed the resistors posted earlier to more heavier 10 W resistors. From the copper bars which are mounted on the caps there goes a 6mm2 wire to the groundplane. I know overkill because this cable is in series with the 10 ohm resistors, but had a piece of cable left.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I also mounted wires which go from the caps which transport power to the boards. Putted them in a nice nylon sleeve, which give protection to high temperature aswell. Did not bought them because of that, I just liked them, but it is nice to say they have a function aswell :D

Did not mounted the cooling tunnels to the chassis. I am still thinking of mounting bigger fans. I was also thinking about mounting two fans underneath the cooling tunnels.

I am almost sad the finish line comes in sight. But there is still a lot of work to be done, I need to wire the speaker terminals, need to think of some kind of fancontrol, mount the cooling tunnels, drill holes for the fans, mount the thermostats and probably a few things I've forgot.

This is how it looks right now:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I will look into a larger encloser for it all. Nico Ras, I like the idea of stacking the transfos anti-phased. Kaplaars, 100% attention to detail 100%. Quality work. I would think you would need solid bar handles on the sides for the heavy lifting and coaster wheels on the bottom. It has to be over 50 U.S. pounds. Ha-Ha. Has anyone heard of Pacific Semiconductors in Vancouver, B.C., Canada?

Power Supply Unit

I will look into a larger encloser for it all. Nico Ras, I like the idea of stacking the transfos anti-phased. Kaplaars, 100% attention to detail 100%. Quality work. I would think you would need solid bar handles on the sides for the heavy lifting and coaster wheels on the bottom. It has to be over 50 U.S. pounds. Ha-Ha. Has anyone heard of Pacific Semiconductors in Vancouver, B.C., Canada?
No, I can't do that. The main reason I wanted the PSU in its own module is so that I could use it in the future or for other stereo designs. There are so many out there and who knows what is in store for the future.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.