Looking for inexpensive, non-diy 4ch amp for woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry this thread isn't about building, but I think in this instance I'm looking for cheap and easy. I need to power two OB woofers (15" running about 60-160hz) and two tapped horn sub taking care of everything below that. I was initially refurbing a chip amp for the woofers, but I killed it. Had I not, I was thinking of Hidley's plate amps for the subs.

But now, my options are open. I think one four channel amp would be really handy, and go right along with the four outputs from my miniDSP that will be powering it. There are a few options I'm deciding between, and I thought you technically-minded SS folks might be able to steer me. In a perfect world, I'd have 150W per channel, but I think I only need 75. And, it'd have a built in LP filter (would help, even with the DSP setup) and maybe two of the channels would be bridgeable (in case I can only fit one sub in the room).

There are some old HT amps that appear to do all this (Carver AV-634 just brought $80 on Ebay). But, I'm a little afraid of the STK-based ones. Should I be? Will they be reliable and decent sounding?

There are some even older looking all discrete amps out there. Adcom GFA-2535s (basically two 535s in one chassis) aren't bringing much ($150). There are some giant old Fosgate 4 ch things floating around. Do I need all that weight and heat in this application? They are also getting a little long in the tooth, and I don't want to have to recap one anytime soon or search for rare transistors.

Finally, the new Behringer EPQ 304 appears to be everything I could want. Sure, a little more power would be ideal, and it isn't bridgeable into 4 ohms. But it is tiny, light, efficient, and they brag about transient response. Two problems seem likely though. Noise: fan and electrical. And two, I'd need to use TRS/XLR/Speakon connectors, which adds a little cost and difficulty.

I really like the look and idea of four channel PA/cinema amps from the likes of Crest and QSC, but they are bringing a little more than I'd like to spend (as they should, given what they cost new). There are some slim, old 1U two channel amps floating around that look interesting, but they still mostly end up more expensive than the options listed above.

So, thoughts?

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Well that was an unpopular post! FTR, I decided to get an ART SLA4. My only worry is fan noise, and that I would have liked it to be cheaper. But: the SLA1 is very well regarded, the 4 has more than enough power in a tiny place, stable into 4 ohms bridged, binding posts, big volume controls on the front, claimed "low noise" PS. It seems ideal in most ways. Maybe I should have waited for something used (a QSC DCA1644 went nearly as cheap last weekend), but I think I will be very happy with the ART. First thing I've purchased under warranty in awhile. I must resist the urge to mess with it!

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.