An Exotic ClassA Amplifier (never seen before).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got this picture while trying to get very high efficiency classA.
Just sharing some fun.:treasure::smash:

Attachments

• Another ClassA.PNG
    Another ClassA.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 952
"non-switching" Class AB has been around for a while now - along with those who want to claim they've invented it and to "brand" it as "Class A"

I think most designers would really expect "Class A" to mean that each of the output devices contribute nearly linearly to output over the full cycle

the mere fact that you've not turned off a output Q doesn't change the fact that you get a nonlinear output gm slope change - the more localized, "sharper" you change the current slope in the output devices the higher order the introduced nonlinearity

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/162559-new-class-super-non-switching-need-revival.html

you should be able to pull up ~100 threads with searches of Tanaka, Pass (non)switching, sliding bias

Last edited:
Umm.. but it is fixed biased, at around 5A not a variable biased amplifier, and it still draw 5A when idle. This amount of current is double of normal push pull classA that only need 2.5A bias for equal output power.
No one using this one because it need twice idle current compared to normal classA. They love their power and save them.:eek::smash:

The first picture, 5A dissipated only from 1.5V :p:smash:
With conventional classA it need 3V supply and 8A idle current for best result, I am not in canada, so I reduce the power wasted as low as possible, up to 0.5V supply used.
When supply less than 2V classB-like classA has better linearity than normal classA. I am still investigate it :rolleyes:

I attached the result of common classA in 1.5V and 3V with 8A bias.
See US pat#4115739 for detail.

Attachments

• Common ClassA.PNG
    Common ClassA.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 676
  • pat#4115739.PNG
    pat#4115739.PNG
    28.7 KB · Views: 669
This series amlpifier is very old and ever produced as classA+, and I see that nowadays classA is still HOT like what it should be. May be something wrong with this series connection or something else. I am interesting to try one with little differences, classB input is now from output of classA. With this quick tracker:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/182663-fast-simple-driver-hexfets-linear-use.html

Reference:

1.AES Preprint no. 1382 (N-5) "High Efficiency Class A Audio Power Amplifier"
AES E-Library: High Efficiency Class A Audio Power Amplifier (Class A+ Amplifier)
2."POWER AMPLIFIER" US 4,115,739
Power amplifier - Patent 4115739

Attachments

• SEClassA+.PNG
    SEClassA+.PNG
    7.1 KB · Views: 511
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.