Arcam AVR200 problems - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2011, 06:52 PM   #1
OXAUDIO is offline OXAUDIO  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Question Arcam AVR200 problems

To be more specific, the original fault was that the center channel would work
for maybe 10-15 minutes, then cut out. Operation could be restored by(quoting
the owner's words!)banging on the R H side, but the fault would recur.
I haven't yet pulled any circuit boards from the main chassis, but, does anyone have any idea as to the cause of this problem? At the moment the receiver
isn't working at all. A puff of smoke came from it, then it cut out. Since then
the mains(power)protection circuit trips a few seconds after switching on.
I suspect a filter capacitor across the Live & Neutral to be the cause of this,
but could be wrong! When this happened a pair of 8 ohm speakers were connected, plus a 15 ohm center speaker, although the speaker impedance switch was set to the 4 ohm position, but I wouldn't think that could cause
the unit to trip out.
By the way, does anyone have, or know where I can get, a schematic diagram
for the AVR200?
Old 27th January 2011, 07:04 PM   #2
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Re schematic, Arcam themselves should supply it by email - they are really good with this.

Banging to make it work sounds like cracked solder joint. This has probably now fried the dodgy channel, which is why the unit no longer works. Arcam, like many, typically only put in a primary side fuse, so a channel being dead short might well trip your breaker if its sensitive.
Old 27th January 2011, 09:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'll email Arcam, jaycee, thanks for the suggestion. As to the cause of the fault, you may well be right. I'll investigate further tomorrow. Just a small point, though-it's the
protection circuit in the receiver which is tripping. You may know that there is a relay
on the mains input PCB(on the rear L H side as viewed from the front, which is in the mains
supply line. That trips out. It even caused the 3A fuse in the mains plug to blow twice, although, given the rating of the AVR 200(1.7A @ 230v), a 5A plug fuse is probably a better choice.
Old 28th January 2011, 06:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Received a service manual via email today. Many thanks to the good people at Arcam. If only all manufacturers/Importers were that helpful!. Anyway the fault in the AVR200 turned out to be totally short circuit output transistors in the center channel amplifier, plus a fried 0.25watt resistor(R5103-330 ohm)I will get a new pair of 2SA1941/2SC5198
which, when fitted should get this receiver back to working order. No sign of any dry solder joints or fractured print connections, although I haven't(yet)checked the main P C B
Old 5th March 2011, 04:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OXAUDIO View Post
Received a service manual via email today. Many thanks to the good people at Arcam. If only all manufacturers/Importers were that helpful!. Anyway the fault in the AVR200 turned out to be totally short circuit output transistors in the center channel amplifier, plus a fried 0.25watt resistor(R5103-330 ohm)I will get a new pair of 2SA1941/2SC5198
which, when fitted should get this receiver back to working order. No sign of any dry solder joints or fractured print connections, although I haven't(yet)checked the main P C B
5 March 2011-Having obtained and fitted the new o/p transistors(and 330R Resistor!), there is still a fault in the center channel, which causes the amplifier's protection circuitry to trip, shutting it down completely, if a test
signal is applied to the center channel's i/p point on the 'AMP 1' PCB.
As some will know, this is not an easy item to take measurements on-the main amp. PCBs being virtually inaccessible when screwed in place. I have now removed the 'AMP1' board, on it's heat sink, connected it to the AC Supply from the mains transformer, and to 2 x 6 and 1 x 4 ohm speakers
ready to make further measurements, etc., on it. In the meantime can anyone suggest what might me the cause of the problem. The other transistors in the center channel check out alright 'cold', and no other components appear to have suffered. In addition to this, there is very little volume from any channel from either the internal AM/FM radio, or from
an external CD Player, or signal from an audio generator. Does this suggest
problems in an earlier stage, given that the front and rear channel power amplifiers are working normally?
Old 4th August 2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Chivvyp is offline Chivvyp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Received a service manual via email today.
Don't suppose it's in a format that you could forward on to me? They didn't respond whan I requested one from them.

Regards

Pete
Old 5th August 2011, 07:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvyp View Post
Don't suppose it's in a format that you could forward on to me? They didn't respond whan I requested one from them.

Regards

Pete
Evening, Pete,
I obtained the manual as a free download fromHiFi Engine | Download Free User/ Service Manuals, Amplifier, Receiver, CD, Tape, Tuner, Video You have to register
as a member, but, once having done so, you have access to service and owners manuals for a wide range of audio equipment, though you are not permitted to reproduce or otherwise use the manuals for commercial purposes
Michael
P.S. I've just realised that I obtained my manual direct from Arcam, so I don't know why they didn't reply to you, Pete. However you should have no problem downloading a copy from HiFi Engine

Last edited by OXAUDIO; 5th August 2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 5th August 2011, 09:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

As a follow-up to my post #5 above, besides the faulty output transistors, one of the dual
emitter resistors(R5107-2 x 0.22 Ohm) was o/c. Replacing that, along with the 2SA1941 &
2SC5198, solved the problem. I completed the repair some months ago, and the amp. has
been working perfectly ever since. How I missed the o/c emitter resistor I don't know,
possibly because they seldom, in my experience, fail.
Incidentally Arcam can be contacted at http://www.arcam.co.uk

Last edited by OXAUDIO; 5th August 2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: to add web address for Arcam
Old 25th February 2014, 12:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audiodesign Send a message via Skype™ to audiodesign
Quote:
As a follow-up to my post #5 above, besides the faulty output transistors, one of the dual
emitter resistors(R5107-2 x 0.22 Ohm) was o/c. Replacing that, along with the 2SA1941 &
2SC5198, solved the problem. I completed the repair some months ago, and the amp. has
been working perfectly ever since. How I missed the o/c emitter resistor I don't know,
possibly because they seldom, in my experience, fail.
Incidentally Arcam can be contacted at Arcam - High Fidelity (Hi-Fi) Music, Home Cinema and portable iPod dock systems
So I need to change only these components ?

Q554 (2SC5198-0)
Q555 (2SA1941-0)
R5107 (5Watt 0.22Rx2)
R5103 (0.25Watt 330R 1%)

relative to the center channel.
Attached Images
File Type: gif avr200_center.gif (31.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 25th February 2014, 05:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I can only say check carefully any suspect components to establish which, and how many are faulty. Those listed above were the only faulty parts in the AVR200 I repaired back in 2011, but other things can fail, maybe the transistors Q551 & 553, etc. It would be galling to replace the o/p Transistors and emitter resistors only to have them fail again due to faults elsewhere in the circuit.

Hide this!Advertise here!