Attenuating Power Supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read that an effective volume control that preserves sound quality is to attenuate the transformer. The EE student inside me is very curious ... can anyone provide example schematics, theory, etc? Have I misread, and it is not possible to attenuate a transformer? This is for a gainclone style amplifier by the way. I can't really think of how to do this, and I've had no luck searching. :eek:

Any help is appreciated... :cool:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
ghetto said:
I've read that an effective volume control that preserves sound quality is to attenuate the transformer. The EE student inside me is very curious ... can anyone provide example schematics, theory, etc? Have I misread, and it is not possible to attenuate a transformer? This is for a gainclone style amplifier by the way. I can't really think of how to do this, and I've had no luck searching. :eek:

Any help is appreciated... :cool:

Hi,

This isn't good idea. I saw some poor quality audio clippers application with OP-amps and variable +/- rails, but this isn't HIFI definitely. (Analogue AM transmitters uses this approach in modulation circuitry)

Regards

You can test this simply by plugging any amp into a Variac. I think you will find that it has little if any effect on volume until you bring it down the point at which clipping sets in where upon distortion goes through the roof.

Either you misunderstodd the advice or you need to find a better source for advice.

sam9 said:
You can test this simply by plugging any amp into a Variac. I think you will find that it has little if any effect on volume until you bring it down the point at which clipping sets in where upon distortion goes through the roof.

Actually, the waveform you get from a Variac may or may not be a perfectly symmetrical sinewave -- that is, the wave in the second quadrant may have a different shape from that of the first quadrant -- it may be somewhat distorted.

Thinking of voltage regulating circuits, the waveform you get from a ferroresonant transformer is also not symmetrical.

"Actually, the waveform you get from a Variac may or may not be a perfectly symmetrical sinewave -- that is, the wave in the second quadrant may have a different shape from that of the first quadrant -- it may be somewhat distorted.

Thinking of voltage regulating circuits, the waveform you get from a ferroresonant transformer is also not symmetrical."

I was thinking in terns of clipping distortion at the amplifier output. The Variac was just a way to conviently control the DC at the rails. The effect, if any, of the waveform from the Variac would depend on the success of the power supply design in filtering ripple, noise and so on and on the PSRR of the amp itself. The orginal post, If I read it right, seemed to be talking about controlling volume by attenuating the tranformer output and hence the rails.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Thank you sirs, I will look for a better volume control method now

The better/best way to control volume was presented already...

I think you may be getting confused with transformer volume controls TVC's. These are multi tapped signal transformers

Anything else was just pure speculation, no doubt well meant.

I think you mis-read...

You're too polite and overly British, John...;)

Ciao,:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.