5-pin DIN to RCA conversion? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2011, 05:20 AM   #1
Hodgie is offline Hodgie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default 5-pin DIN to RCA conversion?

Hi all,

I suspect this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a thread that exactly answered the question, so here goes.

I have an older Philips FM tuner in nice timber case - model 22GH927 - only lightweight but fits nicely witha similar timber cased Phodis amp I have just cleaned up.

Issue is, Philips comes with 5-pin DIN cable, whilst the amp takes RCA plugs.

Is it feasible to cut the end off the DIN cable, and re-wire one end to RCA plugs?

If yes, what should I look for when I do cut the cable (I'm assuming I will see 5 wires rather than 2?) and how can I make sure I get both channels connected correctly to the RCAs?

Final question - is it worth doing this at all? I can buy a 5-pin DIN cable that terminates in 4 RCA plugs - I assume this will work OK if I only use 2 of the RCA plugs?

ANy advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Hodgie
Old 23rd January 2011, 10:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Hodgie,

Have a look at this - hope it helps:

5 pin DIN plug to 2 x RCA plugs sockets ground

Karsten
Old 25th January 2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Hodgie is offline Hodgie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Karsten - that's exactly what I'm looking for, and I was able to get one locally ....at a real bricks-and-mortar, staffed-by-real people, stock-on-the-shelf electronics store in the next town!
Many thanks, Hodgie
Old 24th January 2014, 05:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You guys are lucky, here in North America DIN is considered almost alien (as in outer space) technology lol, so we end up soldering DIY converters when needed. Lots of high-end tuners had DIN output connectors in the 60's, 70's and 80's including my own beloved Sony ST-S555ES.
Old 24th January 2014, 08:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I bought some of these DIN to RCA adapters which I found (with great surprise) in a local store. They had them right there among the other RCA cables and stuff. The girl in the register couldn't find the item in their database, so I had to tell personally them the cost of the thing. Must've been ancient stock.
Old 25th January 2014, 05:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Be careful with some UK brands of the 60s-80s that used non-standard wiring of DIN connectors, typically 4 or 5 pin types - some with unique pin arrangements, others not. Some even have a preamp power rail or switching control voltages included. Yes, I recall a number of situations where users were unaware and blew equipment worth $$$$ with these "clever" innovations.

My first solid-state DIY was with DIN connectors, even the speakers, in an era when multiple plugs like RCA (Cinch) connectors, were considered messy, stiff and confusing for consumers. 4 plugs just to connect a tape deck seemed a dumb idea, the ideal being a "one plug" solution for each system component. Time proved otherwise though and people in other countries dropped DIN connectors as much cheaper Japanese products, designed principally for the US market, didn't have them and the need evaporated. Perhaps Europe, where the designs originated, still has products and requirements for DIN multi-pin audio connectors.

They have their problems but competently assembled DIN interconnects are still available, still a viable and much easier connection for frequently changed audio systems.
Old 25th January 2014, 08:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I recently had the pleasure of connecting up someone's audio system. DIN speaker connectors! It was magic. No more screwing around (literally), which I can't stand anymore.
Old 25th January 2014, 09:55 AM   #8
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Be aware that DIN plugs/sockets can be used for either voltage source connections, or for current source connections (very high Source impedance).

Current source connections tend to be from valve/tube gear. As far as I know it is rarely if ever used with solid state output stages.
Old 25th January 2014, 08:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Be aware that DIN plugs/sockets can be used for either voltage source connections, or for current source connections (very high Source impedance).

Current source connections tend to be from valve/tube gear. As far as I know it is rarely if ever used with solid state output stages.
High-impedance (1 MegOhm up) tape outs were common fare in Grundig receivers up until the time they stopped using DIN altogether in the 2nd half of the 80s. I guess this was done because tape inputs were generally designed for microphones and corresponding levels, with an input impedance of about a kOhm, so this setup would provide about 60 dB of attenuation. It happens to be an "open" (current source) to "short" (current sink) type connection as well.

Obviously it's not particularly smart to drop your signal into the low single-digit millivolts only to amplify it back up, but I guess it wasn't such a big issue with the home tapes of the 1960s and the compact cassettes of the 1970s. You're still good for 60+ dB if the preamp isn't too noisy.

Hide this!Advertise here!