5-pin DIN to RCA conversion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I suspect this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a thread that exactly answered the question, so here goes.

I have an older Philips FM tuner in nice timber case - model 22GH927 - only lightweight but fits nicely witha similar timber cased Phodis amp I have just cleaned up.

Issue is, Philips comes with 5-pin DIN cable, whilst the amp takes RCA plugs.

Is it feasible to cut the end off the DIN cable, and re-wire one end to RCA plugs?

If yes, what should I look for when I do cut the cable (I'm assuming I will see 5 wires rather than 2?) and how can I make sure I get both channels connected correctly to the RCAs?

Final question - is it worth doing this at all? I can buy a 5-pin DIN cable that terminates in 4 RCA plugs - I assume this will work OK if I only use 2 of the RCA plugs?

ANy advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Hodgie

You guys are lucky, here in North America DIN is considered almost alien (as in outer space) technology lol, so we end up soldering DIY converters when needed. Lots of high-end tuners had DIN output connectors in the 60's, 70's and 80's including my own beloved Sony ST-S555ES.

I bought some of these DIN to RCA adapters which I found (with great surprise) in a local store. They had them right there among the other RCA cables and stuff. The girl in the register couldn't find the item in their database, so I had to tell personally them the cost of the thing. Must've been ancient stock.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Be careful with some UK brands of the 60s-80s that used non-standard wiring of DIN connectors, typically 4 or 5 pin types - some with unique pin arrangements, others not. Some even have a preamp power rail or switching control voltages included. Yes, I recall a number of situations where users were unaware and blew equipment worth $$$$ with these "clever" innovations.

My first solid-state DIY was with DIN connectors, even the speakers, in an era when multiple plugs like RCA (Cinch) connectors, were considered messy, stiff and confusing for consumers. 4 plugs just to connect a tape deck seemed a dumb idea, the ideal being a "one plug" solution for each system component. Time proved otherwise though and people in other countries dropped DIN connectors as much cheaper Japanese products, designed principally for the US market, didn't have them and the need evaporated. Perhaps Europe, where the designs originated, still has products and requirements for DIN multi-pin audio connectors.

They have their problems but competently assembled DIN interconnects are still available, still a viable and much easier connection for frequently changed audio systems. :2c:

Be aware that DIN plugs/sockets can be used for either voltage source connections, or for current source connections (very high Source impedance).

Current source connections tend to be from valve/tube gear. As far as I know it is rarely if ever used with solid state output stages.

Be aware that DIN plugs/sockets can be used for either voltage source connections, or for current source connections (very high Source impedance).

Current source connections tend to be from valve/tube gear. As far as I know it is rarely if ever used with solid state output stages.
High-impedance (1 MegOhm up) tape outs were common fare in Grundig receivers up until the time they stopped using DIN altogether in the 2nd half of the 80s. I guess this was done because tape inputs were generally designed for microphones and corresponding levels, with an input impedance of about a kOhm, so this setup would provide about 60 dB of attenuation. It happens to be an "open" (current source) to "short" (current sink) type connection as well.

Obviously it's not particularly smart to drop your signal into the low single-digit millivolts only to amplify it back up, but I guess it wasn't such a big issue with the home tapes of the 1960s and the compact cassettes of the 1970s. You're still good for 60+ dB if the preamp isn't too noisy.

Hi all,

I suspect this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a thread that exactly answered the question, so here goes.

I have an older Philips FM tuner in nice timber case - model 22GH927 - only lightweight but fits nicely witha similar timber cased Phodis amp I have just cleaned up.

Issue is, Philips comes with 5-pin DIN cable, whilst the amp takes RCA plugs.

Is it feasible to cut the end off the DIN cable, and re-wire one end to RCA plugs?

If yes, what should I look for when I do cut the cable (I'm assuming I will see 5 wires rather than 2?) and how can I make sure I get both channels connected correctly to the RCAs?

Final question - is it worth doing this at all? I can buy a 5-pin DIN cable that terminates in 4 RCA plugs - I assume this will work OK if I only use 2 of the RCA plugs?

ANy advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Hodgie

Bumping the old thread, to anyone whom this might be of interest:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Audio-Adapter-RCA-female-male/dp/B00006J4E6

does the job for the intended purpose, it did connect my old tuner to the RCA-in of the recording decks or preamp - admittedly, you do need the L/R rca cables to complete the connection.

Be careful not to buy some of the DIN male to RCA male cables, some of them are falsely advertised from less serious sellers, actually functioning the other way round! (RCA to DIN) and result in huge level drop and nasty background hum.

Make sure the direction is DIN to RCA, and not the other way round ! (this depends on how the circuit is done - coupled "within" the cable).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.