leach super amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello Diy'ers

I have many questions...... HHHHEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!!

As it states in my name i have very little clue what i am doing, but i can read a part list and put "stuff on stuff" lol (just kidding, i understand most of it) Im building a leach super amp (have been for 15 years, started in 96) this has been one of those projects that once faced with a dilemma it goes to sit in the corner and stay there for possibly YEARS until i get the courage to tackle it again. in the past couple of weeks i have started building the boards, one is built, if it works i build the second, if it doesnt, it goes back in to the corner.

I have a function generator, bench power supply (500V 400mA max output) and an oscilloscope. 2 of the 3 are basic to me, but the scope, "pretty green squigly line" (nuff said). i have followed the instructions as best as i could from The Leach Amp - Part 2 but i dont know how to read that thing.

These are my findings SO FAR, when i hook up the function generator direct to the scope i see a small squigly line, when i go through the amp (just the board no output transistors, bias diodes etc), its a bigger squigly line, it looks good to me, but again i dont know what im looking at. i am too chicken to go above 40 Vdc before I can officially say that they are tested or blow something (circuit diagnosis = look for burn marks), I am in the toronto canada area, and would love to be able to contact someone that has built this amp that could tell me if im on the right track or an idiot proof way to test, or even that could test them for me.

i think my questions are easier to read in point form

* what is an idiot proof way to test the boards ????

* when bench testing, my power supply, Hoeffer ps500x, only has a 1 output (2 pair banana plugs) and no center tap, what do i do with the central ground?

* are all grounds (PCB, input, output, PS center tap, filter caps) all supposed to connect together, but not to AC mains ground. AC main ground to chassis only and everything else isolated to 1 point (central Ground)?

* wiring of (2) 0.33R 5W resistors and jumper on heat sinks. the pic only shows wiring of Q18 Q28 Q20 Q30, because the super amp has 8 transistors what is the order of the next 4 if the wiring is to look the same as the pic http://users.ece.gatech.edu/mleach/superamp/hsnkwir.pdf (im guessing Q19 Q29 Q21 Q31)

* in the Leach Amp plans Q12 Q15 are preffered 2N5416, in the super amp plans its 2N5415, which one(s) do i use for all (4) in the super amp

* im using 4 wakefield 435 AAAA heatsinks (two per channel) http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/wakefield pwr semi heatsink.pdf do they need to be "thermally connected" to eachother, as i am mounting them horrizontally end to end (transistors facing up). Also with the bias diodes, can they be "glued or taped" to the walls in someway, or just drill the sink as instructed, do i NEED to put them in the middle of the sink, because in the middle there is the split where they meet and would be close to the edges to drill)

* what/where is R51

Im not sure if you are able to post contact info on the forum, but as i said if someone in the toronto are has built one of these and has more knowledge of this circuit (shouldnt be too hard to find) it would be great to contact, because typing hurts after a while. plese send me a message

if anyone has answers to my ridiculous amount of questions it would be greatly appreciated so i could finally finish this project :worship::worship:

Thank you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.