JFET guitar Pre-amp - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2011, 11:07 AM   #21
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

If you go to using a 2sk170 then I think you would be better with a gr grade and preferably towards the low end of 2sk170gr.
A BF862 might also work, but again a low Idss device.

There is a thread on using the BF862 in a low gain low noise amplifier.
Old 9th May 2011, 07:51 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hi there does anyone have a layout showing the tilman connected together in a Pedal form with LED and 3pdt switch to use like a stompbox? I have the schematic layout, just need to see how to hookup to everything else Thanksd!
Old 9th May 2011, 09:48 PM   #23
Fenris is offline Fenris  United States
diyAudio Member

If you're not afraid to try something, here's a little circuit with three 2sk170s. It only needs 5 resistors, one capacitor, three JFETs and one LED. Gain is about 2, with plenty of driving current. The LED should be a low brightness type with about a 2v drop. It functions as both a power indicator and as bias for the first JFET. The other two JFETs are a source follower and constant current source. Total current draw is about 13ma. You could probably just knock together this circuit "bugsplat" style in a few minutes to see how well it works.
Attached Images
File Type: gif jfet_guitar_amp.gif (14.0 KB, 180 views)
Old 22nd September 2011, 05:17 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Correction on CS vs. CD gain; FET circuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Hawes View Post
One potential disadvantage of common-source circuits is that they offer no voltage gain. In fact, CS circuits are slightly lossy.
Oops. The above quote requires a small edit. I meant to refer to common-DRAIN circuits (CD). Common-source circuits (CS) can indeed have gain.
I apologize for the confusion.

FET gain depends to some extent on the ratio of the drain and source resistors. (Rd / Rs: The internal resistance and load also alter the gain.) For more gain, decrease the source resistor (Rs) or increase the drain resistor (Rd). There are limits, though: The average current must exceed the minimum Idss spec for the FET. Otherwise, your FET will pinch off, and probably quit amplifying.

Hide this!Advertise here!