a bit different amp front end layout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have been playing around with this basic idea. In theory (at least in my head) the dif amps connected this way would have good current balance without using current mirrors on their collector loads nor the resistors that are not equal. The thing works in SPICE simulation, but I also constructed it in real life and seem to have a lot of problems. The currents are not equal even if I remove the VA stage transistors.....

My question mostly is, if anyone has tried such layout or what thoughts does it provoke in your head. For some reason the idea is attractive to me but as I don't have that much of experience, might be I'm totally overlooking some possible problems..

Ergo

Doesn't look like the differential amplifiers can work as such,
since they can't share a common current source. What you
appear to have is an independent current source for each
transistor, so no 'balancing' action can occur. In fact, it looks
sort of like a current mirror, but on the wrong side.

Self and Sloan in their books give some examples of rather
more complex differential amplifiers, some using complementary
feedback pairs, but I found them difficult to understand.

I don't really understand negative feedback either...I just take
it on faith that it works.

complementary schematic

Hi Ergo,
Please have a look at the GAS Thaedra or Thoebe schematic in the link. They used the same idea for there line amp and Ampzilla and Son of Ampzilla poweramp. It is more than 26 years old!
The scheme is also used to some extent by Elantic and Harris(now Intersil) in some of there IC's
http://home.earthlink.net/~narf1/thopho.jpg
I am a happy owner of a Ampzilla and I can tell you the circuit works best if <B>all four</B> inputtransistors are matched. You need a lot of them to find four equal!:)

Elso:
Thanks for posting that schematic. I'm curious; is there a reason that the current sink/source resistors for the input diff pairs are returned to the emitter of the output device instead of the rails? It appears to be some sort of feedback. Otherwise, it looks very much like the Lin configuration that Borbely likes to use.

mlloyd1

<a href="http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='4853609'.WKU.&OS=PN/4853609&RS=PN/4853609">US Patent 4,853,609</a> Pioneer Electronic Corporation

Regards
James

Attachments

• 4,853,609.jpg
    4,853,609.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 646
posted by mlloyd1
I'm curious; is there a reason that the current sink/source resistors for the input diff pairs are returned to the emitter of the output device instead of the rails?

I believe that increases the compliance of the current source. Curcio does the vacuum tube equivalent with his Dyna mods.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.