Is this a proper heatsink for AV800

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to use this heatsink to built the AV800 and i want to know if it is big enough

Attachments

• rsz_dsc03641.jpg
    rsz_dsc03641.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 115
I guess this is not a heatsink. It's more likely looks as a piece of granit rock to be used as heatsink!
Btw, good idea, considering high prices for precious metals, granit electrical non conductivity there is no need to use any kind of washer only thermal compound!
One thing left to calculate a formula of its thermal conductivity to obtain a C\W ratings.

Find out what the thermal resistance of it is, both the Cordell and Slone book tell you how. Here's a quick answer:

Get known value power resistors, and clamp it well to the heatsink

Dissipate a known power in the resistor for a long period of time. For your heatsink, you'd want to use multiple resistors on both sides to distribute the power like you will when you bolt a lot of output transistors to it.

Measure the temperature rise of the heatsink over the course of a few hours. Calculate C/W rise using the measurements of rise and power.

Determine how much output power you think you'll dissipate in the AV800 stage.

Figure out if you can live with the temp rise you'll have.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.