nonsense

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After making several experiments based on saving space on my equipment rack it turns out that my amplifier sound better in it's horizontal position. When I turn it vertically I just don't like the sound.

Wich is total nonsense, I didn't even bother to make a ABX test because I know I would not be able to find the difference.

But still I swear I don't like the sound when its positioned vertically.

So whats wrong? same stuff with that cables thing, caps and so on?

Thanks for the input.

I've always believed in "the better it looks, the better it sounds".

I'd think the same stuff applies here.

My first guess was that I feel a bit insecure when it's in a vertical position, as theres a greater posibility for it to fall on the floor. Therefore not enjoying music as much........:scratch:

I've never made experiments to damp vibrations on amplifiers (or know how vibrations affect different componements) so I can't tell, I think what Peter suggests can't be denied.

Leadbelly, your right about heat transfer, but I mostly use this amp for my headphones and/or mid/highs when biamping. Usualy it stays somehow preety cold.

And yes, vibration damping changes, in horizontal position it sits on 4 rubber feet.

I think Rod Elliot had a article on vibration and amplifiers. I'll check that.

I think Rod Elliot had a article on vibration and amplifiers. I'll check that.

I won't be holding my breath. Rod will tell you to see a shrink rather than admit such audible differences exist. The majority of amps have a horrible pressed steel base which is mostly to blame sonically. And the top cover of course. I am yet to hear an amp that doesn't sound better with the cover off. When the amp sits on the side the bottom cover is free to vibrate at will. When it's sitting in the normal way the bottom cover takes all the amp's weight.
In the 80s a friend with a NAD power amp hated the sound with the cover so much, he wouldn't consider listening without removing it. In a few months the amp got quite dirty inside and my friends girlfriend made him a nice fabric cover, black as the original. Happiness doesn't last long though :) Eventually he spilled a glass of wine on it.

cheers
peter

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

In the 80s a friend with a NAD power amp hated the sound with the cover so much, he wouldn't consider listening without removing it. In a few months the amp got quite dirty inside and my friends girlfriend made him a nice fabric cover, black as the original. Happiness doesn't last long though Eventually he spilled a glass of wine on it.

Great story, Peter...

But your friend's right those amps with flimsy topcovers resonate like yellowjackets in the wind.

In the heydays of the 3020 we did a lot of PSU tweaking on them, they had good potential but are long surpassed by similarly priced amps nowadays.

Heck, come to think of it...if the more affordable amps sound much better now it's mostly thanks to us guys pushing the envelope.

Even those motherboards sound a lot better lately....oops.:clown:

Cheers,;)

Hi all,

The case resonance thing has always been a bit voodoo to me until just now...

Most commercial cases are made of steel for RFI requirements. The steel is also shields TVs, etc. from magnetic fields generated by equipment. A metal moving in a magnetic field induces currents. Motion that is cyclical, like resonance, creates AC currents, which can affect the equipment. Even if the fluctuations are on the order of 1x10E-12, that is a change of 36dB which can be heard by even by the non-golden ears.

:)ensen.

More seriously, not knowing anything about the amp in question I can see where there might be all manner of things that could go astray when it is placed on its side. Possibilities:

Inadequate coooling which has been associated (somewhere) with LF distortion.

Cables shifting about under their own weight could come too close to power source, the transformer, or the other channel.

The reverse of the above is also possible.

Flims boards, or inproperly secured boards or the components on those boards causing either the posative or negative effects just described.

Lesser or greater proximity of an external EMI/RFI source.

Each of these are in principle measurable and identifiable with sufficient time and test gear. You wouldn't even need to resort
to an ABX listening test to determine it.

I would rank the likely hood of the above or just the notorious placebos above solid state microphonics and other exotica.

BTW-- I just remebered an amp I had that would blow a fuse when placed on its side. Not as subtle as your situation!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.