Power transistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Also to be kept in mind that these transistors come in 2 diffirent versions with the r rated part having higher vce ratings. What is not clear is whether those curves shown in the farnell datasheet are for the normal or r rated version. From the original semelab datasheet it is quite clear that the r rated version can do around 2.5A at 100vce which would make it mighty indeed but Im not sure whether it is possible from a TO3P package.

Looking at the post1 link to datasheet (9096).
I see two SOA diagrams. One for 6331 - R and the other for 6331. Both are specified as 300W devices with 0.42C/W.
The 100ms and DC curves are almost identical. The 10ms curve is slightly more generous towards the R version.
datasheet 8684 shows SOA
Ta 25degC, single pulse, no heatsink, natural cooling
That would be an acceptable way to specify for short single pulses. I doubt anyone would class DC and 100ms as short. Even 10ms could be argued as short or medium or a long pulse.
But I ask, why would TT show such a plot?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.