Mute circuit in Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have built a ESP preamp and wanted to put a mute circuit which will be activated via a relay. Any ideas as to how to acomplish the mute???? Should I do it at the input of preamp or at the output??? what value of resistor should I use to ground the signals.
Thanks
Dinesh

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Any ideas as to how to acomplish the mute????

A simple DPDT switch is all you need.
Yes, you can trigger a relay that will trigger another relay...but why?

Should I do it at the input of preamp or at the output???

At the otput make more sense to me. Just short the output.

what value of resistor should I use to ground the signals.

None.

** Be aware that this is just genral advise from someone having no experience whatsoever with whatever topology Rodd Elliot is using in your particular preamp.**

Cheers,;)

dine1967 said:
I have built a ESP preamp and wanted to put a mute circuit which will be activated via a relay. Any ideas as to how to acomplish the mute???? Should I do it at the input of preamp or at the output??? what value of resistor should I use to ground the signals.
Thanks
Dinesh

I also haven't looked specifically at the ESP preamp, but I guess it's op-amp based, like my preamp. I've put some of my thoughts about muting relays at the bottom of this page, for what it's worth...

I would definately recomend putting the muting relay at the output of the preamp - then you can control it using a simple circuit with a time-delay to stop pops and clicks at power-up, and when the mains fails. Perhaps this is what you're thinking?

Cheers,

Mark ;)

dine1967 said:
thanks mark for the answer. Actually was trying to implement a mute through the remote. I will probably follow what u have done. Very informative web page.
thanks,
dinesh

No problem, and thanks ;)

It would be very easy to interface a remote control system with a muting relay - the exact details depend on the remote control system that you have, but it's quite straightforward. Good luck...

Cheers,

Mark ;)

dine1967 said:
Thanks
Dinesh

Dinesh,

I am building a mute circuit in a Rozenblit's Grounded Grid Valve Preamp. This is based on the circuit in Morgan Jones "Valve Amplifiers". It uses 74HC74 and 74HC4040 IC flip flop and timer and a few transistors to short output to ground by relays, and needs a +5V supply. It use a 40 second delay, but there are multiple outputs of the counter which will allow for shorter ones. This is good for valves, where you want to turn on the high tube voltage after the filaments but before the output. This might be overkill for you however.

By the way, are you using a remote control circuit for the volume as well? I am looking for an easy RC5 remote control receiver circuit, and motorized potentiometer circuit for my preamp. Anybody else know of sources for this or previous threads on the topic?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Have you checked out the Analog Devices SSM8402 (I think that's the part number, check out their website to make sure). This is a dual analog switch in a DIP package, uses dual polarity power supply, and clickless, thumpless operation (very important) and could easily be integrated into the rest of the Rod Elliot preamp.

Good Luck!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.