Advice for hearing impaired setup on a new television? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2010, 08:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Advice for hearing impaired setup on a new television?

Just got my mother a 50" samsung plasma for christmas to replace her little zenith crt.

I'd like to set her up with a little hearing assistance, more for her guest's sake than her own. She's happy to just blast it all day.

Wanting to use parts on hand I plugged a 3.5mm stereo plug into the "audio out" jack at the back of the televison and ran a 25 ft extension through the access hole behind the tv and up through another hole behind her chair.

I plugged that jack into the back of a tiny little radio shack SA-155 amplifier so she could adjust the volume herself...
Click the image to open in full size.
...using the cd/tape inputs. Headphones are plugged into the front.

Unlike other devices I've seen the televison does not cancel internal speakers when the 'headphone' jack is used.

Before I test drive this, is there any reason for concern? The cd/tape input measures 77K ohm. Do I risk damage to the television set in any way? Is there a more correct way to do this?

Tuner inputs measure 77K and phono measure 95K.

Last edited by peace brainerd; 30th December 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 31st December 2010, 01:14 AM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace brainerd View Post
Before I test drive this, is there any reason for concern? The cd/tape input measures 77K ohm. Do I risk damage to the television set in any way? Is there a more correct way to do this?
No, no and no.

There's no reason for concern. 77k is highly unlikely to damage anything, it can't pull a lot of current. There isn't a more correct way to do it.

You might get a slightly improved result with custom filtering. In order to do this you would need to know the profile of your mother's hearing. I don't know how this is done professionally, but you could could get an approximate curve by playing her a rising tone generated by a computer through the headphones, and asking her to report any dropouts. Then you'd want a graphic eq. with boost in the places where her hearing is weak. Or you could just let her loose on the equaliser to adjust it for herself, although that might have it's down side depending on her personality.

She might actually prefer a couple of small speakers attached to her chair instead of headphones. While I enjoy headphones sometimes, I don't want to wear them continuously and they interfere with hearing other things like the phone, doorbell etc.

w

Nice gift.
Old 31st December 2010, 03:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much wakibaki. I gave it a go and it works really quite well.

The equalizer is a very interesting idea. I don't own an equalizer any more, but I see them often at goodwill for five dollars. The test tones ought to be an easy download to find and deliver via the laptop. I could research a bit further and see if there might even be software dedicated to looping signals back through my laptop via the equalizer, but given that just listening to tones is somewhat subjective in the first place, it would probably be sufficient just to have her look at a plot of dips, fill them with the equalizer settings, and hope for the best.

Wait a sec... now that I think of it she was tested three months ago by an audiologist. I'll just drop by and ask for a print out and stop by goodwill on the way home!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Happy New Year !!!!!

Last edited by peace brainerd; 31st December 2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 31st December 2010, 03:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Advise from one who is one:

1) Stereo only ... surround sound through multiple speakers tends towards muddy ... cross cancelation at some frequencies, re-enforcement at other frequencies.

2) A second set of (stereo) speakers close to the hearing impaired listener ... with a separate boost level control, if possible.

3) HeadPhones ! with their own amp & controls ... A high quality DIY headphone amp with very good "headroom" and very low "noise floor" = better yet. ...

4) Equalizer / tone controls set to boost the "treble" (or "brightness") a bit ... or defeat some of the bass. Old ears tend to have a bit of trouble with bass = contributes toward muddy-ness. (If you put an active band equalizer in the circuit of a second set of speakers for the poor guy, even better way to cut certain frequencies, boost others.) >>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace brainerd View Post
Thank you very much wakibaki. I gave it a go and it works really quite well.

The equalizer is a very interesting idea. I don't own an equalizer any more, but I see them often at goodwill for five dollars.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Happy New Year !!!!!

Last edited by FastEddy; 31st December 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 31st December 2010, 05:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello,
Been down a similar path with a family member.
The headphones help with the hearing however they isolate the person from others in the room too much. No chance for conversation.
What worked best was a stereo receiver connected to the aux output of the TV. The receiver has a remote control for the user. The output of the receiver is a small pair of near field speakers on a side table near the user. This configuration helps well with the hearing and the user is in control of what she hears, programming or conversation, sort of both.
DT
All just for fun!
Old 31st December 2010, 05:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualTriode View Post
... What worked best was a stereo receiver connected to the aux output of the TV. The receiver has a remote control for the user. The output of the receiver is a small pair of near field speakers on a side table near the user. This configuration helps well with the hearing and the user is in control ...
Old 31st December 2010, 10:22 PM   #7
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Unlike other devices I've seen the televison does not cancel internal speakers when the 'headphone' jack is used.
Did you check all the setup menu stuff?
Old 31st December 2010, 11:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Wow, more nice advice. I'm away for a couple of months and forget what a great forum this is.

I give some thought to all of the input.

It's great to hear from others who have negotiated the same path. The headphones probably would make it difficult to interact with anyone else in the room. I'll have to see how she adjusts. Who knows? That might end up being a plus for her while watching television! Her sense of humor, and patience with others, seems to be flagging as much as her hearing these days.

The setup menu provides options for internal/external speaker. When external is chosen the internal speakers are defeated. But when internal is chosen the the headphone jack remains active and inserting a plug does not defeat the internal speakers. Seems a little odd, but that's the way samsung has set it up and it happens to work out perfectly for this application.

On these modern televisions there is a 3.5mm (headphone) jack, and a digital (optical) audio out. There are no RCA audio outs. Perhaps the menu selection only applies to the digital out, or perhaps it is merely a defeat for the internal speakers. No matter. Ma has no interest in surround sound (thank god.. another can o' worms... so the internal speakers are a go!

Incidentally, going from a 25 year old Zenith CRT to a 50" Plasma has really left her awe struck. As you can imagine, talking a 76 year old into something this new was a battle, but I was confident that she had little idea what she was missing. I was right.

Thanks again for the advice and happy holidays guys.

Last edited by peace brainerd; 31st December 2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 1st January 2011, 12:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello,
Been down a similar path with a family member.
Here is the rest of the story.
Mom may have her remote for her near field speakers. If she turns off or down her speakers you will not be able to hear.
We have found the TV speakers should work for all in the room and Momís remote for her near field speakers should be separate.
DT
All just for fun!
Old 1st January 2011, 01:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have a related question.
dad is very hard of hearing, and getting worse.
He watches tv alone (with headphones, VERY loudly)
so loud, he cant hear anything else around him at all.

question is, why dont these deaf people just use their hearing aids ??
dad has them, refuses to use them.
when ive asked him or suggested it, he walks of and sulks...

Help me understand.
The technology is there, yet a lot seem to have a pathological fear of it..

Hide this!Advertise here!