Hiraga 20 watt, output transistor biasing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I began to rebuild two homemade Hiraga Class A homemade amplifiers. They are using the schematic below. There's only .035 volts across the .47 ohm collector resistors.

I tried to change the value of the 12K resistors but it didn't help a lot.

Naturally, there's a lot of distorsion and the amplifier doesn't have power.

What could be the problem ?

Thanks

Here are the voltages I got

Attachments

• Hiraga .jpg
    Hiraga .jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 354
The two 12K resistors only set the input pair current,and reducing them act only very marginaly by the resulting current increase in the 200/240R resistors and the slight increase of voltage at the bases of the second stage transistors.

To increase the quiescent current, you must increase the two 1.1K resistors that are connected from bases of 2SA634/2SC1096 to supply rails.
Try first 1.2K , if not enough , 1.3K and so on, by little steps..

I checked the other amp and it seems to work. The resistors values appear to be not as original schematic. The 12 K are changed for 28K. The two 680 ohms near the pot are 220 ohms. NFB resistor is 300 ohms instead of 200. Collector output transistors have .33 ohm instead of .47 ohm. When I take voltage on this amplifier, there's near .650 volt at the base of the output transistors. The faulty amp has 14V and 18V at output bases.

It seems strange that the one which has not the recommended resistors values is working ok and the one with recommended values is not working.

Here is the schematic with voltage values I got with the working amp. This one has +20 V and -20 V unregulated at the first stage.

Attachments

• Numériser 3.jpeg
    Numériser 3.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 281
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.