Chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Somewhat related to the recent thread on heatsinks, what do you all recommend for chassis?

I'm quickly coming to realize that the most daunting aspect of a DIY effort is the mechanical layout and chassis design. So, I'm looking for some suggestions for nice quality steel chassis.

One approach is to scavenge the chassis of a suitably sized dead amplifier. But even dead amps on e-Bay can command quite a few bucks as many bidders seem to hope that the seller is an idiot and the only thing needed to resurrect the amp is to replace a fuse.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Regards,

Rob Weinstock

Page 3 of the August issue of Nuts and Volts has a Halted Specialty ad. Look in the far right column, 3rd item from the top.....

1U rack chassis, 2 for US$19.95. If interested, make sure to mention the Nuts and Volts ad, as teh online price is $19.95 each.

I ordered a bunch just to have, the price is certainly right :)

The order taker was kind enough to get one from the warehouse when I asked him quations about condition and holes, doesn't sound too beat up. Apperently they've been gutted of whatever electronics was in them, with small 3 lights on the front panel, a bunch of holes for BNCs, RJ45s and so on, on the back.

www.halted.com HSC#19437

Lukas

Definately take a look at HSC as mentioned above. I live about 10-15 min from the shop. They often have a pile of surplus comm units stacked out frot (old routers, switches etc). I bought one for $20, took out all the insides except for the power entry module, tore off the front plate ang replaced it with piece of aluminum. Voila! A very well constructed amplifier enclosere.

I don't know if Illl ever need it but, kept the power supply because the transformers look like they may be useful some day. If that's the case, then I will have an indusrial strength enclosre for a net cost of zero.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.