Balanced Mic Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm looking for ideas / schematics for a balanced mic preamp for use in the PA system at my church... The mics are Shure sm48 / sm58 and similar ... I'd like something that sounds decent (and low distortion IS an issue here) rather than the typical cheap PA gear. The design can use discretes or opamps. Any ideas?

Regards.

AudioFreak said:
I'm looking for ideas / schematics for a balanced mic preamp for use in the PA system at my church... The mics are Shure sm48 / sm58 and similar ... I'd like something that sounds decent (and low distortion IS an issue here) rather than the typical cheap PA gear. The design can use discretes or opamps. Any ideas?

Hi,

- Analog Devices - SSM 2017/19
- Or, I can send to you one good schematic from Sound..... consoles. (2SA970/2sc2240/TL072).
- Do you think about using some kind of voice compressor?

Regards

I'm hoping to do something that sounds reasonably decent 1st time around which is why I was asking for help. I could work something out on my own but I dont have the time or money to try endless components / combinations ... I really need something that will do the job pretty well straight out of the box (or off the soldering iron as the case may be).

Regards.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
AudioFreak said:
I'm hoping to do something that sounds reasonably decent 1st time around which is why I was asking for help.

Hi,

In Elektor 11/97 was published one stereo microphone preamp with AD SSM 2017. This amp work very good with studio condenser microphones (Sennheiser, AKG, Neuman)(my own experience). There is PCB, also. And you can order chips like samples, I guess. This is very good solution for you 150$ Shure.
If you are interested, I can send to you this article in pdf form.

Regards

Hi, all

moamps said:
In Elektor 11/97 was published one stereo microphone preamp with AD SSM 2017.

Analog Devices discontinued this IC. The better substitute is the TI/BB INA217:

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/productfolder.jhtml?genericPartNumber=INA217&pfsection=desc

But you can find a good source of schematics at Rane website:

http://www.rane.com

For exemple, their stand-alone mic preamp:

http://www.rane.com/ms1b.html

Scroll down and click on "schematic".

hope this hleps,

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
AudioFreak said:
I forgot to mention that I would like true balanced input and true balanced output.

some datasheets will give you balanced input utilizing anywhere between two to three op amps (try TL082 datasheet). balanced output can be done via two opamps (one inverting + one non-inverting, or one inverting buffer following another inverting/non-inverting opamp).

The schematics at Rane that Edu Silva mentioned has both balanced input and output.

AudioFreak said:

You might try this. it has a balanced, low noise discrete front end. The output is unbalanced, but that is not really a problem if the preamp is located reasonably close to the next piece of equipment in the chain. If you really want a balanced output, you can add something like this .

For an IC solution, I think someone already mentioned the Burr-Brown INA103 .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.