Making home stereo, cheap power + quality??? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2003, 02:38 AM   #11
Diode is offline Diode  United States
diyAudio Member

That skinney boy..... What a smart-***..... Building 1.21 jigg-a-watt amps is serious business... LOL ROF Yeah skinney boy, try building a real mans amp for a change!!!!! just kidding.......

RCSRADIO@cia.com.au Mr. Bob Barnes The board number is SC01208971 500Watt Amplifier. Bob's a pretty cool and interesting dude. Tell him "The Okie from Muskogee" sent you. He'll get a kick out of that.......

I'll post pictures when I get them scanned in. I just got them developed today.........

Chris
Old 19th August 2003, 01:38 PM   #12
Account Disabled

Send a message via MSN to da_madaxeman
Post transistors and transformers

hey hey
thanks for that, I tried calling but couldnt get through, will try again tomorrow... but my good friend skinnyboy here told me I would need to spend about $320 on transformers (4x 300VA) and 8 $10 transistors.... hmm.... Whilst this is still worth it it seems, is this true? is there an easier power option?

If it helps, our AC powerpoint power here is 240V 50Hz.
The board itself only costs $35 Australian I checked on their site, thanks again skinnyboy for the link. To see for yourself, go to http://www.cia.com.au/rcsradio/atozlist.txt its not far down.

Anyway must go. Any help would be appreciated. I'll try calling them again tomorrow to ask them for advice.

-Eli
Old 20th August 2003, 07:59 AM   #13
Account Disabled

Default called them.. but how much do i have to do?

hey,
It sounds pretty good, he said I could probably get transformers than a bit less than previously thought
I was wondering how much the voltage recommended to be put into it is (after transformers), so I could know just how juicy transformers I need....
I was also wondering how many other things need fixing, patching up or adopting to suit my needs. I would be running probably two of this amp (i know, gonna cost me) one per channel. I actually don't need it to be this powerful, so I could consider running at a maximum of 300-400 watts RMS if it would help from the transformer front. He did kind of scare me by saying something about treating it good, well of course, but how would this differ from any other amp?
I was also wondering if there was an alternative built more for my needs, that is to say 350, 400 watts rms x 2? Ah, this is probably pretty good. I dont know honestly, but if I can make this work for a decent price I will, to save complications of looking around more for another alternative.
Also, slightly off topic, how would I go about pursuing a career in speakers, amps and general sound equipment which will be sound and well paying?

heheh.... -Eli
Old 20th August 2003, 09:01 AM   #14
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Maybe you should buy one of these for salvage:

http://www.djtronix.com/beeuep.html

For only $349 you would get a nice case, heatsink, fan, binding posts, transformer, etc.

You could gut it and then build your amp inside.
Old 20th August 2003, 12:20 PM   #15
Account Disabled

Lightbulb hmmmmmmm

i feel guilty gutting stuff... thanks heaps though... does leave me wondering, if they can build a whole amp for that much, couldnt i get bits for less? hmmm

also it says 1200w @ 2 ohms x 2, whilst im fairly sure that's PA equipment, it would most likely provide sufficient power at 4 ohms x 2, or even 8 ohms x 2, IF it can handle that load. (I am aware of the power drop at higher loads but... 1200 watts jeez...) hmmm any suggestions comments? i mean thats a pretty good price 350

thanks heaps
-Eli
Old 20th August 2003, 12:24 PM   #16
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
so.... what speakers are you planning to run from this amp? hehe
Old 20th August 2003, 12:36 PM   #17
Account Disabled

Talking speakers

heheheheh
you will be happy to know....

Peerless 12'' 400W rms home woofers... your fave...well not quite but hey play along with it lol

Probably Peerless mids too, just works... they have a fairly wide selection of mids. about 120 watts rms, not that I'd go that loud regularly, i mean at 800Hz, 120 watts continuous is LOUD... well, fairly... I know the subs would well and truly drown out the mids, but hey you dont go up to 400w rms for rock/alternative.... well I probably wouldnt. That site you gave me with lots of price listings was helpful, i will check that too.

Tweeters? well... no idea. They arent really too expensive, something aroun 100 watts rms, again not that i'd use all of that too often.

All (of course) in a 25mm MDF box with a nice big bass port, maybe some damping inside (the squishy stuff) if recommended or neccesary. Mids independantly boxed and same for the tweeters, just to stop 400 watts worth of reverberations... Internally done or itll look queer....

Per channel of course, possibly pine veneered if i really don't like the MDF look

And, I intend to get a decent paying job and save for a while to buy it as I know it will not be cheap.

-Eli
Old 21st August 2003, 10:44 AM   #18
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

" i feel guilty gutting stuff... thanks heaps though... does leave me wondering, if they can build a whole amp for that much, couldnt i get bits for less? hmmm"

Only if you build a bunch (like 10K) in China like they are.

"also it says 1200w @ 2 ohms x 2, whilst im fairly sure that's PA equipment, it would most likely provide sufficient power at 4 ohms x 2, or even 8 ohms x 2, IF it can handle that load. (I am aware of the power drop at higher loads but... 1200 watts jeez...) hmmm any suggestions comments? i mean thats a pretty good price 350 "

It's like 800W/4R and 500W/8R in stereo. I don't think I would run any low priced amp at 2R, even if they claim it's 'stable'.

You don't need 400W anyway.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?f...jk&r=&session=
Old 21st August 2003, 12:01 PM   #19
Account Disabled

yeah, but I wouldnt be running it at 2 Ohms. I'd need 400 watts RMS to power the speakers properly, which would be preferable.

Good point with the making 1000's of them.... maybe i should start a factory... jk

hmmm, the only problem is I definitely don't have that money now nor in a hurry...

Hide this!Advertise here!