replacing power supply capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am rebuilding a BGW 750A and need to replace some caps including the power supply capacitors. I am not looking to rebuild this to original specs and if a change would improve performance I would like to do that. I am having a hard time finding an exact replacement and wonder if I can increase or decrease capacitance and to what degree is acceptable. Currently there are two GE 21000uF 85V large can screw type capacitors. Would I be better to move up to 22000uF or down to 19000uF and what difference will it make? I have checked some of the online large electronic supply companies and have been unsuccessful at finding an exact replacement. Would I be better going to more quantity of caps? Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies. Apex Jr, I measured mine and they are 3" diameter x 4 1/2" tall. I need 6 as I am refurbishing 3 amps. I really would like to find a direct size replacement, but if am unsuccessful, that seems like a good price. I think I have enough forgiveness in the wiring to accommodate those. Do you carry the clamps also?

Thanks
Devin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.