Real World TMC/ETMC applications - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2010, 02:27 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default TMC was tested and not aproved to be used together Dx amplifiers

at least for a while....in the future new tests will be done:

Test videos you will find in this link:

Are you ready to face strong emotions?.. Dx Blame MKII and the Supercharged release!

regards,

Carlos
Old 14th December 2010, 03:26 PM   #22
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHEONIX View Post
Hello Carlos

If you take your design for example and you were able through drastically reduce the distortion it would sound a lot better, simple because it is not adding to the distortion of the input signal. Really low distortion can be heard over high distortion all things being equal (namely the amps are made of the same quality of components).

Regards
Arthur
Not so sure about such Pheonix, Class-A has lower distortion than a/ab but also weaker sonics. Full class-a tend to sound sleepy and dead by comparison to a good a/ab amplfier.
Old 14th December 2010, 06:34 PM   #23
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

no no no.....take a gem like the Hiraga Class A...or even the smallish Monster amp.. they are both expansive and dynamic in the sound...Class a is by no means sleepy and dead...bu must off course be paired with the right kind of speakers....as they often don't have the power of class A/b amplifiers....
I don't consider low distortion to be a fundamental quality in an amplifier....but merely as one the the parameters tom make one...and lower is not necessarily better...personally I rate the sound of some tubeamps to be among the best "out there" and the often boast a distortion 10-100 times higher than what we are talking about here...but what they offer in real musical excitement...is stunning...

My concern with the TMC.. is how it behaves under transients.... does it alter rise time...
and what happens when you overdrive the amplifier and it comes near clipping...
Old 14th December 2010, 07:57 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Not so sure about such Pheonix, Class-A has lower distortion than a/ab but also weaker sonics. Full class-a tend to sound sleepy and dead by comparison to a good a/ab amplfier.
That would depend on what kind of class A .

I did have a TOP AMP , as far as sound quality , listenability. It was the Big class A genesis stealth , a 7000 usd$ , serious , IRFP mosfet powered creation from Colorado. Believe me .. It was not "sleepy dead" .. !!!!
In the FFT's below -

#1 - is the mighty class A genesis FFT.

#2 - BX / "blameES" FFT with cascode/low noise inputs (was just born ,am listening WOW!! )

#3 - AX / "blameless" FFT - making this just to have a 2'nd pair of amps.
#4 - AX schematic - a baseline design for TMC.

The simulations were not "rigged" . I use fairchild models and NO ideal sources except Voltage. So you see all the nasty interactions of the real simulated CCS's , Vbe , cascodes , etc. With ideal sources i would most likely be down to PPB! 40v p-p/ 10khz is standard with AB outputs biased to 80ma.

The Class A FFT is interesting as it has NO harmonics after H7 (sweet) , it was the best I have seen even as it has a dominant 3'rd. A single ended (as opposed to a push pull (genesis) would most likely have a dominant 2'nd. Still , One damn pure OPS .... I have heard it - even pushing 200W.

Just look at #2 , I still haven't gotten used to it. A ghost sound will come out of the cracks in the wall and scare you half to death. It (bX/blame-es) , for some reason beats the current sourced "blameless" , that FFT is way below a part per million , billion. I do think to quality of the bootstrap is crucial here , I use a panasonic EE series ... which is as close to ideal as can be found economically.

#3 and 4 , I am going to see why TMC on a current source can not match the performance mentioned above. What you would hear on 3/4 looks very similar to the genesis FFT wise (harmonics are similar).

These beat any Class A design by a major margin .... #2 at .5ppm at 10khz- 50w , even if the sim is off by a factor of a hundred .. way better than most. Differential noise is more of a concern than any of this.
Now, don't go throw all those power suckin' , un-environmental aluminum hunks to the wind , just "gut em" and make some 500w AB amps that will blow you away...

OS
Attached Images
File Type: gif genesis ClassA.gif (22.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: gif bx.gif (20.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: gif AX.gif (17.9 KB, 125 views)
File Type: gif AXnew.gif (19.2 KB, 134 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!