Power switch sources?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2001, 10:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

I am looking for some sources of some switches for my upcoming amps. Are there any good sites yall have found that have nice tacticle (push button) switches? Thanks for yalls help!!1
Old 5th April 2001, 11:08 PM   #2
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

I can tell you what NOT to buy: the brand is Mountain Switch. I got it from Mouser for a hefty $10 and it's a flimsy piece of crap. Often the little lens pops out and it already got stuck into the ON position once. Mind you I don't use that for power switching, it just controls a relay.
I suggest you don't get suckered by the catalog picture like I did.
Old 5th April 2001, 11:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

grataku,
Thanks, it's refreshing to read a negative 'review' of a part or project, as we know that there are dog parts and projects out there, but so few people who ever report same.
I, myself, have eyed the Mountain parts, and will keep your experience in mind.
I would like to caution against any of the *really* long bat or paddle style miniature switches. They break off at the slightest provocation. Sometimes seemingly without provocation. Perhaps just because the moon is full. They may look cute, but avoid them like the plague.

Grey
Old 6th April 2001, 02:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tips guys I will keep that in mind. Any ideas on where to look on line? Any certain specs that I should look for this will be to turn the amps on and off.If it matters any it will be for the Opti-MOS amp. Thanks for the help!!!
Old 6th April 2001, 03:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Rollo,
in my experience, if you want to power up am amp you with 20-40mF (millifarad) and your 4-500VA transformer you need at least a 25 A switching device, that being a switch or a relay. I normally use the pretty-little-switch to power the coil of the big-ugly-relay. I go overboard and use four contacts relays, parallel two 20A contacts and interrupt both the hot and the neutral main wires. Basically that guarantees a long and happy life of the contacts. I fried many 10A panel switches after as little as 5 trials. That was on 220V mains when I was living in Europe so at 115V results may vary and for the better.

A piece of equipment in my laboratory uses a really nice switch (the thing has been operating for 15 yrs problem free). That is what I would like to get as a replacement for the "Mountain-o-crap".
I plan to crack the enclosure open and get the brand of the switch fairly soon so stay tuned...

Old 6th April 2001, 10:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Try the swiss-made EAO switches as by the manifacturer "you can feel the difference"!

Hide this!Advertise here!