LM3876 amp info needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi! I was looking into building an amp from the LM3876 power amp chip. I am just looking to find somthing to drive a set of subs in my car, or even just play with. I figured that the IC might be a little easier to work with than the FET family of transistors.

I planned on running one amp and one sub on the left channel of my preamp out, and one amp and one sub on my right channel of the preamp out. My subs aren't that big wattage wize, so I figured that the 40 or 50W would be good.

There is still one problem. The schematic on the ESP site that I might like to use calls for like +/- 35 volts, and my car has +12. could I run the amp on 12 volts? or would it be possible for a voltage regulator to boost the voltage up to 35V? I am out of ideas. My electronics teacher said that it would be best to build an inverter, run it thru a transformer, then rectify it to get the desired voltage. Would this really be the easiest way?

Whell, Thankyou in advance for the help!
Jude

Jude

Why don't you see the project that I told you in other thread? It's a $20 book.

The power supply is capable to feed two 75W amps at +/- 36V regulated output. You can make just the power supply. There is the complete project there, inclunding PCB drawings.

You can't achieve the power you want feeding the amp directly from the battery, and the solution of you teacher seems to me a little strange, and with some problems.

Regards,

There is another solution for your question, but I think it will be not so good.

There are some chips designed for use in automotive applications from Thomsom and other brands. See at www.st.com and look for Ic amps for automotive applications. They have power at this range (40W or 50W), bridged, but the distortion will be higher than in a design using high voltage values.

regards

allrite....

k....

"blmn".. I havn't got around to the library yet to see if they have it. I figured that if I could use an IC, it might be able to take a smaller voltage. thankyou for posting the other link. I still might check out the book you suigjested. my teacher is really odd..

"lohk" .. thankyou for posting the link. I will have to take a look.

thankyou.
Jude

Jude

I agree with Audiofreak, the best option is, as I told you before, making a SMPS power supply to achieve the power levels needed without high amounts of distortion and other correlated problems, but, you can´t imagine how loud could an amplifier be even at 12V supply.

regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.