ONKYO AVR401: distorted sound in one channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
My trusted ONKYO amplifier for the past 17 years started to act on me two days ago. When I turned it on and play music the right channel became distorted. After few minutes it comes back to normal. I did not open the case yet. An amplifier is old, but I have never problem with it. Can those be electrolityc capacitors?

Thanks for the help.

Just for amp details... this is solid state two channel integrated amplifier. AVR stands for audio-video. The amplifier has just additional inputs for VCR to route the signal. This is what would be called now very simple amp with no gimmicks. I just can not afford now to buy a new one. I would like to try to fix it by myself. At first I thought that could be capacitors in PSU. But, if that would be a case it should affect both channels, is not it?
I did try to serach the forum, but some questions were not answered. It looks like this is common questions for older amps.
Thanks again for help.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Could be an electroylitic or an old ceramic cap going leaky. It's impossible to guess though.
Is the amp DC coupled to the speakers ? If so does any DC offset appear when problem occurs ?
Does it do it on all inputs... ie is it a power amp problem or not ?
Does it respond to tapping or probing the PCB with a plastic tool indicating a poor soldered joint.
Speaker relays ? these can be a source of distortion as the contacts oxidise, particularly at low volume.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.