Output Power PP AB Stage - Value of Emitter Resistor for thermal Bias Stability - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2010, 11:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Output Power PP AB Stage - Value of Emitter Resistor for thermal Bias Stability

Output Power PP AB Emitter Follower stage - Value of Emitter Resistors without necessary Vbe multiplier or diode against thermal runaway

About
THERMAL COMPENSATION OF Vbe MULTIPLIER
and
Bob Cordell Interview: BJT vs. MOSFET
I don't find the appropriate informations.

How I calculate the smallest possible value of emitter resistor in a push pull output power stage without necessary Vbe multiplier, NTC resistor or diode for thermal compensation ? Both for normal and Sziklai darlington (CFP).

From a certainly minimum resistor value this emitter resistor serves even for an excellent thermal bias stability. The value must be higher than 1 ohms (below 1 ohms Vbe multiplier transistor absolutely necessary), but lower than 100 ohms - so I think.
If I know this value, I can use only a bias resistor like topologies with audio lateral mosfet's in the output.
I think, this resistor value is also dependent from the wished value of idle current through the output.

Thank you for your comments.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 29th November 2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 30th November 2010, 03:40 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
the Cordell link takes you to the correct Thread for the local Thermal Stability.
See post2276 and beyond for the details.
This is explained in his book. Have you bought it yet?

The first link is for overall Thermal Stability.

Hide this!Advertise here!