alternative for STK3102-IV - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2010, 07:31 PM   #1
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default alternative for STK3102-IV

The STK3102-IV is one of the biggest weak spots of some Marantz amps, like the PM80(SE). I had to replace the one in mine once but I was wondering if someone has ever come up with an alternative.

Does anyone know if such an alternative exists? E.g. a replacement made up of discrete components?
Old 26th November 2010, 01:38 PM   #2
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...yo/STK3122.pdf

We can use a higher voltage version, or build a surface mount hybrid (as Crest does).
Old 27th November 2010, 08:24 AM   #3
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the link, but that was not exectly what I meant. I was more thinking along the lines of a discrete component replacement that doesn't go wrong like the STK-modules do when they age.
Old 27th November 2010, 08:36 AM   #4
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Surface mount parts are discrete, and everything eventually dies.

You can build any design you want with surface mount versions of 2N5551/5400 and MJE 340/350 and make it small enough to fit.

Crest uses a module they build in their v1500 that will drop right in, don't know what it costs.
Old 28th November 2010, 12:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The hard thing to figure out will be the specifics of the original - such as what was the original LTP current, what was the original VAS current... the circuit itself wouldn't be hard to implement.
Old 16th January 2016, 08:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here is something interesting :

We all expect one to replace the 3102 , check soldering , check the known relays issue ,replace a few capacitors , set the bias and done...

I also expect "techs " that simply replace the 3102 and give away .

Point is that in the first case and when one wants to set the bias will look at the service manual and bias the amplifier accordingly .The problem is that the service manual is written WRONG !!

It states that at bias points bias should be 18mv over a resistor 0.18R and that equals to 50ma ......Obviously this wrong since this equals to 100ma
farther more in the high bias condition 198mv over a resistor of 0.18 that equals to 500 ma Obviously this is also wrong and equals to 1A

Pm 80 features both neg and pos test points and what the missed to print is that the sum of the two redings ( pos +neg ) should be 18mv and 198 mv respectively .

Cannot tell if more than double the bias will stress the IC but obviously in total the heat will stress the amp and produce fatigue of parts and soldering .

Now days fake IC exist from PMC /SAN which the quality i am not aware off so i replaced one , added a far better heat sink and bias the amplifier properly to see how far i will go ....

Enjoy a print of the schematic

Kindest regards
Sakis
Attached Images
File Type: png PM80 Settings.png (295.7 KB, 47 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!