THD in LTSpice ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok i reuploaded some of the pics and schemos and layouts under "basedonblameless" as not to hurt copyrights as much as "of my own design" did.

In fact its only bootstrapping and the use of laterals and no bias transistor that differ my project from rod elliott's P101, other than that its identical.

Ok i reuploaded some of the pics and schemos and layouts under "basedonblameless" as not to hurt copyrights as much as "of my own design" did.

In fact its only bootstrapping and the use of laterals and no bias transistor that differ my project from rod elliott's P101, other than that its identical.
When told that the circuit is based on the blameless, I thought you had the book and knew the circuit, there are amplifiers commercial that use circuit similar, as the Mark Levinson and Luxman.
Use resistors degenerative for linearity with mosfets do search on the subject, Bob Cordell did research and measurement at Mosfets. After done, your circuit will authentic certainly, or rename the amp for "Frankenstein" :razz:

Last edited:

Attachments

• HBscr.JPG
    HBscr.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 655

Probably half the amps designed in the past 30 years are as close to the blameless as you are. The differences are in the details, and thats what makes them sound different. These details also turn an ordinary LTP/CE VAS/double (triple) Emiter folower output amp into a very low distortion blameless amp.

New amplifiers that dont rely on old stage designs that are tweaked are extremely rare. (reinventing the wheel is great education, but thats about it) So dont worry about stealing ideas, especialy if its for DIY.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
It does, but it also increases THD to 0.005% and above

The phase prollems are likely since this circuit was intended to drive bipolars, not mosfets.

You need to study the loop gain and phase margin.
Ground the input and insert an AC signal source in the feedback loop:

LG_PM.png

Find the nets before and after the signal source and plot the expression -V(before)/V(after) on an AC analysis.
You'll get a result like this:

LG_PM PLOT.png

This shows loop gain at the top, phase at the bottom. Notice when the LG hits 0, the phase should optimally be -100 degrees.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you take a look in the LTSpice examples folder, there is the 'Middlebrook' procedure for extracting the LOOP GAIN/PHASE. You need look at LOOP GAIN/PHASE to judge the stability of your amplifier and to compensate it correctly. A closed loop plot does not give the true story - you need to be really experienced to judge an amplifiers stability from the closed loop gain and phase, and what to do to optimize it.

Part of the art of compensation is making the correct performance tradeoff's to acheive optimum stability at the best possible performance (=lowest distortion, adeqaute slew rate).

My suggestion is that you use the LTSpice tool mnetioned above, re-run your simulation and then post the results up.

Some ideas to think about:-

1. Your tail current is far too low (<1mA). Run it at 3mA to 10mA (10mA is where I run mine, but some would say this is too high).
2. Your LTP degeneration resistors are too low at 22 Ohms. They probably need to be 50 ohms or more to ensure adeqaute slew rate and avoid TIM.
3. The LTP current is also too low and is easily modulated by the output load and cross over switching. I would run this at a minimum of 10mA, although I run my designs at about 30mA.
4. Also, Q3 needs some degeneration - use about 33 Ohms here (you can optimize this empirically on LTSpice).
5. Your gate stopper resistors are on the low side - I'd fit something like 50 Ohms.
6. I'd also fit an output inductor of around 1uF, and a Zobel network (junction of R10 and R11to 0V return where the filter caps join).
Mosfets are fast, so you can get away with greater loop gains, but heavy capacitive loads are still an issue and can lead to stability problems.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.