Japanese to English translation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Reeler is offline Reeler  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Japanese to English translation

Any members here are able to translate written [Luxman] Japanese to English?

My project..... to refurbish 2 Luxkit Z504 ( in Japan they are A504), amplifiers.

I have three 504's. One is working but the other two are not.

These amplifiers were introduced by Luxman as 'build your own' kits in 1984 to the Japanese market, (as the A504), however, they used a Belgium company to mass produce a completed kit to the European market under the name of "Avance Luxkit". They did something similar in America.

I have the full original build instructions and schematics for this amp, (Japanese).

In my efforts to rebuild these amps I need some paragraphs translated.

For your information:-

Luxkit 504 amp is very user adaptable by switching a few wires around under the hood.

60W + 60W per channel class A. Stereo.
200W + 200W per channel AB.Stereo
240W MONO class A to AB.
600W MONO class AB
Slew rate 200v/usec

Most of the amp is 'hard-wired' so it makes for an interesting DIY project. I have spent many years accumulating these. I truly love the sound + it makes my Manger tranducers sing!

I would like to make new boards of the amp and also welcome opinions on replacement parts.

But first I need some of the original Japanese build instructions translated to English.

Stephen - Reeler
Old 22nd November 2010, 05:15 PM   #2
satoru is offline satoru  United States
diyAudio Member

Stephen,

Drop me a PM.

Regards,
Satoru
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The working example A504
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z504amp 002.jpg (149.0 KB, 508 views)
Old 24th November 2010, 12:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Japanese translation update

Dear members,

So far I have had 2 very kind offers of help from fluent Japanese speakers to help with the translation of this DIY Assembly Manual.

The manual is quite lengthy, although it is made up of a lot of diagrams, and I would like to invite more Japanese translators onboard to help share the load.

My intention would be to have both the Japanese and (eventual) English Assembly Manuals made available on this site for others to build this powerful and versatile Duo-Beta amp.

My information is that this manual was never translated into any language from the original Japanese. In Japan the A504 was available to buy in kit form, but outside of Japan the units were only available to the public in completed form. I believe they were first introduced around 1983/1984. Luxman’s subsidiary group ‘Lux-kit’ ceases to exist – the new Luxman company knows nothing about them and is even less interested.

This Assembly Manual is a rare piece of history and is likely to be lost in time. Anyone having one of these amps today, (26yrs later) will most likely need to refurbish.

The manual contains:-
Full parts list,
Step by step build instructions,
Guide to adjusting bias, A to AB rewiring, Stereo to Bridge Mono rewiring.
block diagram,
the pcb layouts,
the circuit diagrams,
the test measurements and more.

The DIYaudio forum is the perfect place for the collective effort required to translate, collate and display this information – so that others can have the opportunity to build and maintain this powerful piece of equipment.

I know there is interest in these amps. Many forums, including this one, have ‘help seeking’ threads relating to the Luxkit series over the years. There are owners in America, Canada, Australia (A504) also Netherlands, Belgium, France, UK (Z504) all without the necessary information found in this manual.
Luxkit A504 repair, long
Luxkit Avance Z-504

My intention with an English manual would be to refurbish my own units and have some new pcbs made up to begin building some more of these units to add to my collection. If there is enough interest then perhaps forum members might be interested in a group buy at some stage. I am not interested in financial profit.

Meanwhile the important issue is to have this manual translated. Please, if you are able and willing to join the other 2 members to assist with translating a few pages of this 41 page manual then let me know so that I can organise some means of dividing the workload.

Perhaps you know of others qualified to assist…..email or pm them pointing to this thread!

As a sweetener, when it comes time to have pcbs made up I will certainly look at a means of rewarding the efforts of those who come forward.

At this stage I have attached a copy of the spec sheet. I am awaiting permission from the Mods to post up the full manual.

Also I would be interested in your views as to whether you think this a worthwhile project.

Reeler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z504_Specs.jpg (138.3 KB, 465 views)
Old 10th December 2010, 02:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

A little Bump.....

I would still like some more volunteers to help translate from Japanese to English please.
Old 10th December 2010, 03:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

well ... amplifiers like that will only require a schematic and some expirience to repair them ...i am afraid that translating the manual will get you nowhere ...reason ? they person who actually copmosed the manual never had in mind that these amplifiers might live as long as 20-30 years ....

i think your approach is wrong ... you will need other type of procedure
Old 12th December 2010, 09:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sakis, I believe you are missing the point. The 'manual' is a concise set of 'Assembley Instructions' aimed at the complete novice. They are written in such a manner as to take you by the hand through the build.

With these instructions, a set of boards and the necessary parts anyone could begin constructing this very powerful and versatile amplifier.

In fact one won't need the schematics or experience to build this - with the translated manual. The educational value that goes along with building such a kit is immense.

I know it might be difficult to believe this without seeing the Assembley Instructions but the pdf file is 28MB and is too big to post.

DIY should not be a closed shop for the 'experienced', it should be accessable to the first timer also. There are not many opportunities for a beginner to build something as wonderful as this outside Japan...

I truly believe that there will be a lot of interest between novice and expert alike, to build, (and possibly improve on), this amp.

You are correct when you say the manual is not required to fix a broken amp but I want everyone to have the opportunity to build a fresh unit from scratch.

PS. I managed to revive one of my broken amps this week by replacing some caps and transistors so I now have 2 working units and one broken.
Old 17th December 2010, 03:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Can you kindly post a picture of the front panel of it? Tks.
Old 17th December 2010, 04:26 PM   #9
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi Reeler

I think this is a great idea. 28MB sounds like a real email-killer though. How about uploading the PDF to Jan's website? That will make it easy for anyone to access.

Sorry I can't help with translation but I'd love to see the english version if/when available.

Cheers - Godfrey
Old 17th December 2010, 07:17 PM   #10
bigyank is offline bigyank  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
Hi Reeler

I think this is a great idea. 28MB sounds like a real email-killer though. How about uploading the PDF to Jan's website? That will make it easy for anyone to access.

Sorry I can't help with translation but I'd love to see the english version if/when available.

Cheers - Godfrey
28 MB sounds like a perfect reason to use cloud computing........

Hide this!Advertise here!