Experiences with class-d.com ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a few of these modules to play with. They seem well made, but the two "200 W" modules put out quite a bit less than published rated power, have a somewhat sloppy low end, and arrived with no application notes, no technical data, no mounting hardware nor insulators for the outputs (I bought heatsinks with them), and an e-mail to their tech support e-mail has yet to be responded-to after a week.

They have a pretty wide line of modules from 200 to 2000 watts, and they seem to offer an excellent value, but curious about others experiences. BTW: The modules are not Class-D, the website name is, but they are conventional Mosfet modules.

Mosfets/Modules - Class D

It is unfortunate that this company seem to make outrageous claims about their lateral mosfet modules, and then ignore your support request.:(
The mosfets themselves are Semelab lateral mosfets and they are 125W parts.
An equivalent part with a proper spec sheet can be found on the Semelab Magnatec Website.
http://www.semelab.com/pdf/magnatec/ALF08N16V ALF08N20V.pdf
These are rated at 8 amps not 12 amps
The double die parts are rated at 16amps not 24
You can tell that the company has no problems with making unsuported claims about their amplifier modules when they claim double the power at the same voltage just by substituting the double die mosfet parts!:rolleyes:
Its a real shame as their b---s--- claims about these amplifiers probably put most of the people capable of using them off even trying......

As for the modules you have, if you use them as you would a Hitachi lateral mosfet clone amplifier with a single output pair they should be OK. IE maybe up to 50V - 55V per rail for undemanding 8 ohm loads (approx 100w @ 8 Ohm) and less than that if 4 Ohm loads and a robust PSU
I see that the class D website says that this module can be used with 75 - 0 - 75V Rails :flame:

The mosfets themselves are Semelab lateral mosfets and they are 125W parts.
An equivalent part with a proper spec sheet can be found on the Semelab Magnatec Website.

I believe the devices are not the same, very similar but not the same.

they claim double the power at the same voltage just by substituting the double die mosfet parts!

Which is perfectly true and logical. Double the number of output devices nets you double the power. Then you change the supply voltage accordingly to deliver that double power.

Their power ratings are a bit optimistic, but other than that they are good enough modules, and it's good to see such good value for money modules being available in the UK and being UK made.

I see that the class D website says that this module can be used with 75 - 0 - 75V Rails

Which it can provided you use the appropriate load impedance.

The Alfets that class D sell are now available from Magnatec and Exicon,
That is not to say that they are the same as the Magnatec BUZ 901 and Exicon ECF10N20 The die is slightly bigger and there is no gate zener.
Maybe I found this out from
Some one from Australia
as well.
As for using this amp with 75V rails, maybe if your using a 16 Ohm speaker.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.