How to fix the Audio Research D-110 modules - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2010, 12:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to fix the Audio Research D-110 modules

Hi All,

I have a Audio Research D-110 and confirmed the Left Channel modules are non-function. Does anyone can tell me where I can buy the modules? Or simply how can I fix them?

Thanks
Matthew
Old 30th August 2011, 06:25 PM   #2
mtubes is offline mtubes  Germany
diyAudio Member

I got the same problem in two amplifiers, I will try to use solvent to remove the resin and see whats inside. maybe its the only way..
Old 31st August 2011, 04:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

let us know - based on the ARC D-100 schematic, they look like op-amps. But I would like some visual proof.
Old 1st September 2011, 02:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

yeah, could be, old style amp ops or a big amp op made by transistors (like old mark levinson sealed modules). I got the solvent, tomorrow I will put it into the solvent.
Old 1st September 2011, 05:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Due to the size, I'm hoping they're 'discrete' op-amps instead of integrated. Very curious since I have an old ARC SP-7 preamp and D-52B amplifier in my second system right now.
Old 13th January 2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Nrik is offline Nrik  Denmark
diyAudio Member

So... what was inside?
Old 13th January 2012, 03:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Can you tell me what solvent you are using ??

I read a few weeks ago that heated prestone should work, but I am afraid it will smell awful, be toxic and be a mess ......
Old 13th January 2012, 05:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Be very careful with heating straight ethylene glycol (Prestone) as it is quite flammable and could burn if splashed on a stove burner.
Old 14th January 2012, 02:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I used some paintīs thinner, R110 itīs the name. It is like light oil, but very strong and smell hard, but nice in the few seconds, I recommend to use dust mask with smelling filters. INSIDE? an array made by transistors, low noise I guess, maybe two fets, need to be sure, since no label or letters over devices, erased by AR people, looks like an op amp array, very similar to the mark levinson modules, I will work on schematic and the share with all you guys. One of my freinds told me he found an old round octal op amp in one o those modules , but I am not sure if it is a real AR module.
Anyway, I will try to replace the circuit by the LM4562 very very nice quality OP AMP used in many hi end brands as a secret weapon, limited only by supply voltage for this case.
Old 17th January 2012, 06:15 AM   #10
Nrik is offline Nrik  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I really wish you would repair the original circuit.
When I was younger I also felt the desire to improve almost everything. But with time I found out, that when it comes to "classic" and famous stuff, I have found much higher pleasure by rapairing the stuff true to the original circuit.

Yes a technical 'improvement' is definitely possible, both for old stuff like this an also newer stuff, but you loose the charm, the originality, the uniqeness of the gear.
Think of it like having a vintage Mercedes with a broken engine, and then repairing it with an new Opel engine. The new engine might be technically superior...but not as charming and original as the old one.

Just my view - disregard it if you disagree mtubes - but we are still curious to see the geniousness of the original gain module.
:-)

Hide this!Advertise here!