2 band transistor tone control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The one time I tried biasing to class A (and I used constant current diodes rather than discrete fets) and I actually felt the audible result wasn't as good as just the opamps alone. The opamps were OPA604 and AD845's.

My experinece says don't bother with class A biasing.

About the transistor tone control i posted earlier.. considering its low output swing (+-5V), I think it would be better to lower the boost/cut db to about +-8dB or thereabouts...with original values the boost/cut is about +-18dB. I dont think we generally need this much...
i will try to recalculate values for +-8dB boost/cut and a center frequency of 1KHz according to this :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
One thing, -/+8db isn't very much if you are talking 20kHz and 20kHz frequency points. At say 100 hz the boost/cut will be very low indeed.

There is an opamp tone control using 100k pots in this Philips application note. If space isn't an issue then Doug Self Precision Preamp tone stage is brilliant because it has adjustable turnover frequencies. Its by far and away the best tone stage I have ever seen and used.

Attachments

• Philips NE5534 and NE5532 Aplication note.pdf
    112.5 KB · Views: 104
so what cut /boost do you suggest? +-15dB? +-18dB? I played a bit with lt spice and i came up with these values for about +-12dB cut/boost...

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Its very subjective really but those do look respectable enough curves.

The problem with all these type of circuits is that they alter the frequencies a long way to the side of where you really want the boost or cut. For example if you want to boost around 30 Hz then even frequencies as high as 300hz get some boost too. You can't really escape that with this type of circuit though.

Hi Maouna,
I just stumbled across this thead agian and thought I'd add my $0.02.
I'm not sure why you would want to build such an old design, nostalgia maybe? But this a pretty bog standard Baxendall circuit, and in my opinion that design leaves a lot to be desired. Worst thing about it is its' inherently shallow slope filters which usually can't even achieve a 3dB/octave slope. Because of that issue, attempting to make adjustments to bass or treble frequencies will also modify the mid-band, and that is not what we normally want. For more info, check this out: http://www.rane.com/pdf/acceler.pdf

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.