Suggestions for voltage regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a number of amp ideas I'm going to be started on soon. Some of them require +-35v and a couple of them go significantly higher.

I know the LM 338 will handle 5 amps, but the datasheet says it's only for under 35v (more like <32). This is fine for gainclones, if using a pair of these per channel. But I don't know what to do with higher power which would require more amps than they deliver.

Any recommendations for other regulators to consider? What should I do if my amp needs something like 70 or 80 volts?

Thanks

Hi,
buy a couple of small toroids.
15+15Vac and 25+25Vac.
Series connect them for 40+40Vac.

This gives you a choice of 3 different dual polarity supply voltages of ~+-20, +-35, +-60Vdc

Adding a rectifier and smoothing capacitors and you have test power for almost every project.

What should I do if my amp needs something like 70 or 80 volts?
if you don't know what to do you should not be building 70 or 80 volt projects. They are 140Vdc to 180Vdc across the polarities.
Killer machines.

Yes, I can multiply, 180 allows for regulation and mains variations.

Last edited:
Not scared of voltage. Have been hit with the output of a neon transformer. Don't know what the voltage was (at least 1000v) and it was one heck of a zap. But I lived.

And no, it wasn't a mistake on my part. I was the victim of a bad practical joke. (I think I need new friends)

Anyway, I'm just asking what's out there that can handle higher voltages/current for building regulated supplies over 30v.

The voltage of that transformer would not carry a significant amount of current. It's like the flyback for a picture tube. At 30KV the anode will light your eyeballs for an instant but the voltage drops quickly. That's not to say that it can't be leathal, it certainly can be. 200VDC with lowish impeadance can sustain enough current in your body to check you out of this hotel called life.:eek: It only takes about 100mA.:RIP: Microwave ovens can be very dangerous to repair because the HV transformer is fairly large.

As for regulated linear supplies >30V, discrete components may be the best option.

Not scared of voltage.

I think the point AndrewT is making is that maybe you should be. And of current too. Wave your wedding ring in the wrong place and you can amputate a finger.

Have been hit with the output of a neon transformer. Don't know what the voltage was (at least 1000v) and it was one heck of a zap. But I lived.

Yeah, most people can handle 30,000-40,000 volts from a wet car ignition lead, the current is small though.

About 400 people per year die from electrocution in the US alone.

That said, there are lots of threads with valve (tube) voltage supplies here in the 300-400V (DC) range, just keep reading and you'll soon soak up enough knowledge to kill yourself. It's largely a question of identifying components which are rated for the voltage.

w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.