Newbie's first amp - Where to start? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2010, 11:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie's first amp - Where to start?

So I discovered the diyaudio forum a few days ago, and all I can say is - OVERWHELMED.

I've been an enthusiast of electronics, gadgets, and DIY in general, and have a few years experience installing audio professionally. My electronics background, however, is limited to playing around with a couple of radio shack electronics kits when I was a kid.

One thing I've discovered is that the learning curve for anything complex gets a lot easier the more interested you are in the subject. I have been self-taught in creating things from computer programs, to telescopes, to loudspeaker designs. Now, I've been bitten by the amplifier bug and I want to get one under my belt. I believe I can tackle this and come away happy.

So I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction. Here are some things I'm looking for in my first project:

* Quality - I want the amplifier to "get out of the way" of the sound so that the liveliness of the music can shine through. I don't believe this requires large amounts of power, or necessarily really expensive components. I won't be needing loud volume levels or to create a lot of bass. For me, it's balance, neutrality, openness, airyness, and lack of fatigue during long listening. I want the sound to be a clear cut above the standard stuff you find in a major electronics store, and for it to be apparent that no important corners were cut in the design.

* Simplicity - I'm looking for a tried-and-true, simple, proven, and basic amplifier design without a lot of gotchas, tweaks, frills, unnecessary gadgets and doodads. Large fancy regulated power supplies, elaborate feedback schemes, debatable features, and silly hard-to-prove improvements are things I want to leave out. This will be my first build, so I want to start with the basics but I also want to get the basics right and not leave a lot of room for improvement for what it is, being simple.

* Price - I'm looking for the "sweet spot." I'm willing to lay down a few hundred bucks to do this right, even better if it's less, but do not find it worthwhile to spend a lot of time or cash pursuing hard to find or expensive parts. My guess is that for somewhere between 150 and 500 bucks I can end up with an amp that will really sing and make something of comparable price from an electronics store seem like junk.

So, there it is. If there's a kit out there that fits the bill, great. If all I can hope for is a schematic, and I have to hunt down all the parts, that's okay too. But I guess my biggest fear is not finding a project that fits my above three criteria. So, for you experienced ones out there, has the above description brought anything to mind?

I'd love to hear it.
Old 14th October 2010, 12:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Pretty simple design LT1356 + OPA549 you can download schematics here on the right side across Tale 3U

Old 14th October 2010, 12:21 PM   #3
imagios is offline imagios  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Well it depens on what do you expect...
I can suggest the D class amps of 41Hz Audio - News I have build two of the AMP 6 by my self. Sounds nice but I dont know if 20W are suficient for you. You find some nice amps there with decent price and good quality and a lot of reference on the web.

For solid state there are a lot of AB class amps with 100W power out.
For exmaple Module Amplificateur - Module amplificateur stro SAP15 2x100W ClassAB
its a french site but I buy there and trust theyr product will be decent.
cheers
Old 14th October 2010, 01:01 PM   #4
alexcp is offline alexcp  United States
diyAudio Member

Another fine example is Power Amp Kits by AmpsLab - I had very good experience with their Lm60 kit.
Old 14th October 2010, 01:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

3886 gainclone seems to fit your project.
Many threads here about it.
Several kits available.
Old 14th October 2010, 02:12 PM   #6
mikje is online now mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

This site has awesome amps and a lot of support. Peter Daniel, the gentleman behind this equipment, is a big help on these, as well. I built the LM3875 and am really impressed. DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.

Mike
Old 14th October 2010, 02:34 PM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Peter Daniel's implementation of the Power Amplifier is DC coupled and is designed to particularly to suit a high efficiency speaker.
These are not intended for Beginners or Newbies.
Old 14th October 2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Peter Daniel's implementation of the Power Amplifier is DC coupled and is designed to particularly to suit a high efficiency speaker.
These are not intended for Beginners or Newbies.
I highly respect your opinion/info Andrew but I'm not sure I'm following. As a newbie, I built the LM3875 with no problems. It only took a few hours and works well. I run a pair of Fostex FE127s and they sound great.
Mike
Old 14th October 2010, 06:29 PM   #9
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi Mikje,
are you blissfully unaware of the risks you are taking using a DC coupled amplifier?

If you are aware and have decided to accept those risks, or have taken steps to ameliorate those risks, then you are not a beginner.
Old 14th October 2010, 06:38 PM   #10
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Hi Mikje,
are you blissfully unaware of the risks you are taking using a DC coupled amplifier?

If you are aware and have decided to accept those risks, or have taken steps to ameliorate those risks, then you are not a beginner.
Hi AndrewT,
Uh oh ... not aware of what is meant by DC coupled, nor do I know the dangers. Care to enlighten me? It would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!