Which amp to build?!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi. is there any possibillity for an amplifier to have lower THD at a high frequence rather tan low frequence?

i was simulating an amplifier with CFP output and at 1Khz there was 0.009% THD while at 10Khz there was 0.005 % THD at the same input level.

is there something wrong here?

Check out the LM60 Mosfet amp from Ampslab. Sounds quite good, easy to build the boards. A nice power supply with some big caps in it and you are set. Does not have to be fancy though. A regular frame type transformer of about 200 VA's is good enough for 50 watts 4 or 8 ohms.

I run 4 of these amp modules or dual stereo to drive my 4 modified Large Advents. I can listen to them for many hours at a time at a comfortably loud level.

Did you made a 300B tube amp ?

No, it seems to me that the 300B is overpriced and needs a higher voltage, I used a lowly pass regulator tube which doesn't need a lot of B+ for the beginner to worry about [ http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/167872-my-cellini-triode-amp.html#post2204733 ] and it sounds darn good - although I've since bought a bunch of 6S4S tubes for future use ;)

I don't want to send this thread off in the wrong direction, but as for 'slow' and "If you cannot perceive it, it's normal, many can't" along with "tube cannot slew a high current quickly, to complete a bass note attack" - this is just pure **/misinformation, sorry.

I don't want to send this thread off in the wrong direction, but as for 'slow' and "If you cannot perceive it, it's normal, many can't" along with "tube cannot slew a high current quickly, to complete a bass note attack" - this is just pure **/misinformation, sorry.

No, you can't possibly send this thread to wrong direction by explaining why that is a wrong information. This is all about how to choose an amp without having to try so many amps and possibly be disappointed.

I know my hands-on experience. And I know a little about electronics from reading. The hardest is to relate what you hear with theory.

About what I perceive as a "slow" sound, many others have perceived the same thing. Of course at the same time, when there's a blind test or just comparing stuffs where high power triode is used along with fullrange speakers. This "slow" phenomenon does exist. May be you can explain what I hear, and relate it to theory? So everyone can choose a better amp :cool:

I'm sure you have heard a lot of amplifiers and know what you like and what you don't. It's a good point you make that each person will probably have to decide that for themselves.

And I know what you mean, trying to match what you hear to any kind of theory is tough at best.

Perhaps 'slow' is a term that some people use to describe something about what they are hearing that they don't like, but it's a term that as far as I can see has not been described even subjectively. Can somebody say what on earth does 'slow' mean, yet alone link it to any kind of performance feature of an amp. In an industry that's full off marketing bull I just don't buy into some of the descriptions. It's hard to describe sound, I struggle to find a vocabulary. Can you tell me what 'slow' means ?

Last edited:
SLOW ?? Huhmmm ... ??
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Stereo pair .. :D
Or , a 220pF miller.

"Slow or "fast" would more accurately describe the output stages damping factor ( the value of the damping factor between a particular loudspeaker and a particular amplifier describes the ability of the amplifier to control undesirable movement of the speaker cone). Damping factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most voltage stages will easily surpass the 20 or so V/us speed to negotiate the audio spectrum. So "speed" as it is used most often is just erroneous audiophile "puffery" to sell overpriced equipment.

Here is fast...
images

OS

Another "Slow" terminology

Okay, this is just for fun...

Imo, to understand "slow" amplifier is easy. There is the harder one...

Pick certain CD players, play a certain music/song, can you perceive that one CD player plays the song "slower" than the other? If you can't, case closed.

If you can perceive a "slow" CD player then play the same song from both CD players exactly at the same time. Will one CD finish the song before the other? And? :cheers:

Oh, to find out about this "slowness", try Norah Jones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.