What's my problem?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was removing a dead distortion channel from an old solid state guitar amp, I forgot to cut the last wire before I plugged it in a turned it on :mad: needless to say I had a spark and not the amp powers up but the output is extreamly low. I have to crank it all the way to hear a very distorted clean channel... :bawling: any ideas what I could have fried? Could it be the transformer?

What kind of amplifier is this? Brand name?

Depending on the design, the unit may have relied on the second amplifier to supply a control signal or something like that. If, when you removed the other amp you disconnected the control wire, you might have disabled the whole unit. In many stereo amps, there is a circuit that senses that both channels are working properly before engaging them. If you remove one channel, the whole works might stop working completely, or somewhat.

Please say more about the amplifier, and if you have a schematic for it, post it here...

Well, I don't personally know that model of amplifier, but someone here probably does.

I would check to see if you accidentaly removed or cut some other parts of the circuitry while removing the amplifier. Check that all the wiring still in the unit is intact. How many connections are there to the amplifier section that you removed?

We need more suggestions here...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.