WAT TO DO ??????????? MOSFET OR BJT FOR A 1200W RMS AMP @ 4E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AS I HAVE HEARD THAT MOSFET HAS A TENDENCY OF GOING IN OSC IF LARGE NUMBER R PARALLELED ..... BUT ALSO THAT MOSFET R MORE FORGIVING THAN BJTS........AND ALSO THAT MOSFET AMP IS ALWAYS LESS EFFICIENT THAN A BJT AMP OF SAME SPEC....
I AM CONFUSED WHAT OUTPUT DEVICES SHOULD I USE FOR 1200W AMP @ 4E ,,, AND WHAT OUTPUT TOPOLOGY QUASI OR COMPLEMENTARY.........
HELP ME GUYS...........

REGARDS
PHOENIX

Sheesh turn caps lock off!!

What is the application ? for home use you rarely need a bigger amp that 50 watts per channel and maybe 150W for a normal size sub.

For an amp above 400W its better to buy a PA amp from Behringer or other budget company than to build one.

Amplifiers above about 500W contain lethal voltages and should not be built by a novice.

I'd say start off with simple stereo amp built from a pair of LM3886, there are kits available for cheap.

If 1kW is a requirement, buy a PA poweramp.

To OP:

It sounds like you want to build your own 1200W@4R amp, but lack the proper EE skills.

Tekko's advice is right on. You'll need an amp riding on +/-110V rails at least. Such a project is not for a novice.

If you must proceed with your intent, both MOSFETs and BJTs can be used. The SuperLeach is a good starting point, you'll have to up-rate the design to suit your rails. MOSFETs will also work, provided you take proper precautions with the gate drive.

You might also want to consider a 600W@4R amp designed to operate continuously into a 2R load. Take 2 of them and bridge it to get 1200W@4R. That'll make your rail voltages easier to cope with. Don't expect very hi-fi performance out of that.

Disclaimer: Do not do this at home

Sheesh turn caps lock off!!

What is the application ? for home use you rarely need a bigger amp that 50 watts per channel and maybe 150W for a normal size sub.

For an amp above 400W its better to buy a PA amp from Behringer or other budget company than to build one.

Amplifiers above about 500W contain lethal voltages and should not be built by a novice.

I'd say start off with simple stereo amp built from a pair of LM3886, there are kits available for cheap.

If 1kW is a requirement, buy a PA poweramp.
frnds i have a lot of EE experience ..... i have made amps >500W rms . I just needed to know which is better Mosfet or BJT in terms of high power amps.
And just for the word.....I have made all the following amps with my own pcb design...
1. 6.1 channel amp using STK4211V & TDA2030
2. STUDIO SE by dr Bora
3. Legend stage mk2 by dr BORA
and many other small chip amp projects....

regards
phoenix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.