The Very Best Amplifier I Have Ever Heard!!!! - Page 98 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2010, 01:08 AM   #971
Banned

Godfrey - Here's a picture for you:

Click the image to open in full size.

Goldmund connects the diodes D2, D5, D4, and D6 slightly different from Hafler, Nelson Pass, etc. This doesn't mean that it's incorrectly connected. Both ways work and serve their purpose. Why did Goldmund chose to connect their diodes that way? Simply because they worked to serve a certain purpose that the Goldmund engineer wanted to implement in the amplifier!!

The reason why a lot of people are having a problem with this is because they're simply audiophiles who are used to cloning Nelson Pass designs. That is what they're familiar with. They're not real engineers. There are no set ways that something can be connected. To find out why Goldmund connected their diodes that way, one would need to test the amplifier and see what happens, otherwise it's all purely a speculation.

Once again, we are trying to clone a Goldmund Mimesis 9.2 amplifier here. Because of narrow mindedness, a lot of people want to change the circuit to what they're familiar with. In that case, please go build the boring $20 Nelson Pass amplifiers.

Furthermore, why do we need 10-20 pages of arguments each time on something as trivial as T6's orientation, or weather to use the small pF capacitors, or how the diodes should be connected? You are building a Goldmund amplifier, that's how they do it. This shouldn't leave any room for argument. If you want to change all these things, please do so. The PCB will need no modifications, it's as simple as rotating the parts and soldering them in reversed. The PCB and the schematic has to be displayed as per original Goldmund. It's up to the individual builders to do their own upgrades (or more than likely failures).

Spind - I'm rude? Have you read the constant attacks in this thread? Your lack of observation skills are not only rude, but also insulting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Goldmund Mimesis 9.2 Schematic.pdf (47.9 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by NagysAudio; 30th October 2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 30th October 2010, 01:28 AM   #972
Krisfr is offline Krisfr  United States
diyAudio Member

That picture was total closure for me. A 100,000 dollar amplifier with flux on the board and cold solder joints galore. Wow... That is mind boggling. And I have one to many bludging electrolytic caps for my comfort.

And to think of all the OTHER idiosyncrasies that this company puts forth as Engineering...

Thanks, but NO thanks...

It might sound good, but it would probably be the results of moisture absorption, joint resistance and measleling of the board.
Old 30th October 2010, 01:49 AM   #973
ihgl is offline ihgl  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisfr View Post
And to think of all the OTHER idiosyncrasies that this company puts forth as Engineering...

Thanks, but NO thanks...

It might sound good, but it would probably be the results of moisture absorption, joint resistance and measleling of the board.
Hey, did you not manage a parallell thread, modyfiing this very amp?? Why bother in the first place? Or, am I mistaken? Indeed I agree with you what so ever - but??
Old 30th October 2010, 01:58 AM   #974
diyAudio Member

I've been checking this thread only occasionally but wanted to ask about building the design using the original to3 output fets. Can wires be run to the pcb or is the pcb only suitable for the new style fets. Or maybe some sort of adaptor pcb is possible?

thanks, sp
Old 30th October 2010, 02:00 AM   #975
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
The reason why a lot of people are having a problem with this is because they're simply audiophiles who are used to cloning Nelson Pass designs. That is what they're familiar with. They're not real engineers.
Right, maybe they are not genuine and superior engineers like you, but instead they have a very little slight bit of common sense. And that is not so bad.
Old 30th October 2010, 02:08 AM   #976
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoolpigeon View Post
I've been checking this thread only occasionally but wanted to ask about building the design using the original to3 output fets. Can wires be run to the pcb or is the pcb only suitable for the new style fets. Or maybe some sort of adaptor pcb is possible?

thanks, sp
I would also be interested in a more- let us say more Goldmund design since I am in posession of some 40 matched transistors of the very original design. But a clone is a clone is a clone...
Old 30th October 2010, 02:33 AM   #977
parb is offline parb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
Godfrey - Here's a picture for you:

Click the image to open in full size.

Goldmund connects the diodes D2, D5, D4, and D6 slightly different from Hafler, Nelson Pass, etc. This doesn't mean that it's incorrectly connected. Both ways work and serve their purpose. Why did Goldmund chose to connect their diodes that way? Simply because they worked to serve a certain purpose that the Goldmund engineer wanted to implement in the amplifier!!

i think this is a completely valid point. if one is recreating something then it should be self evident that one should be faithful to the original circuit (and if possible even to the original layout) even if one doesnt fully understand or know the reasoning behind certain design choices in the circuit. nor do i think its fair to hold nagys accountable to those circuit design choices, but i think its right to stick to the original design first and foremost if one is truly tryong to do a copy of the original circuit. there are other threads for modding this circuit.

on a separate note, that board in the picture doesnt look like it comes out of a high-end anything... europeans in the seventies used to teach a bit better soldering cleanup than that. but doesnt in itself mean the sound is not good.
Old 30th October 2010, 02:50 AM   #978
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parb View Post
on a separate note, that board in the picture doesnt look like it comes out of a high-end anything... europeans in the seventies used to teach a bit better soldering cleanup than that. but doesnt in itself mean the sound is not good.
And besides, soldering all over is mostly for the gallery. We all know that 60/40 tin solder is 6 times worse a leader compared to copper. Would be far better to widen the copper leads on the PCB.
Old 30th October 2010, 03:10 AM   #979
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I should probably do something about some very insulting remarks here

Old 30th October 2010, 03:34 AM   #980
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
I should probably do something about some very insulting remarks here

No really insulting remarks here. We are all very interested in how this will end up. One of the worlds leading engineers is showing us the way. Let him gladly do that. After all he started it all. And maybe this will show up to be a very good amplifier. Who knows?? Interesting it is. Indeed!

Last edited by ihgl; 30th October 2010 at 03:40 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!