The Very Best Amplifier I Have Ever Heard!!!! - Page 201 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2012, 11:52 AM   #2001
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vargasmongo3435
wow those drawings looks like " Leonardo da Vinci " stuff specially the second drawing really nice nicosokey!

Regards
vargasmongo3435
Old 15th May 2012, 02:30 PM   #2002
diyAudio Member

just popped in to my mind

I wonder how it works when a big company ( name big any one you like Sony ? Technics ? Sansui ? ) so i presume that when these people design amplifier that we don't talk about Jim or Ken ...it should be a team of engineers that will study every aspect of a concept

So i wonder .... why any of them never ended up with such results ?

If the NVA founder actually noticed some difference in sound using a plastic enclosure especially made with absolutely no screws and everything inside is made with glue then the next thing that comes in mind is that the all team of engineers of Sony for example are probably stupid since they never found the effect of metal screws in sound ....

Does it make any sense ?

then again i take it as a fact that any vibrations should have some impact in the operation of an electronic circuit ....So inside this forum there is a load of respected scientists and please .... someone might tell us or describe how this impact will effect our sound or even better describe this with technical or understandable terms ...

Example ...

metal screws will reduce the bandwidth of your amplifier by 2db at the range of 25-26 KHZ ... this is an understandable example .....

Last edited by east electronics; 15th May 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 15th May 2012, 03:12 PM   #2003
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Niko, 3pair output stage.
What output bias current, what output quiescent dissipation, what temperature for Tj, Tc, Ts & Ta?

Last edited by AndrewT; 15th May 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 15th May 2012, 03:15 PM   #2004
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakis View Post
.................If the NVA founder actually noticed some difference in sound using a plastic enclosure especially made with absolutely no screws and everything inside is made with glue then the next thing that comes in mind is that the all team of engineers of Sony for example are probably stupid since they never found the effect of metal screws in sound ....

Does it make any sense ?.....
I have stated publicly that every amp I have built sounds worse when mounted in a steel chassis, compared to no chassis.
I have also stated publicly that no amplifier that I have ever built sounded better in an aluminium chassis compared to no chassis.
To the best of my ability, I cannot make a metal chassis Power Amplifier better than an uncased Power Amplifier.

Compare, no chassis (air) to plastic chassis/case. I wonder what the difference would be?

Last edited by AndrewT; 15th May 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 15th May 2012, 03:31 PM   #2005
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
I have stated publicly that every amp I have built sounds worse when mounted in a steel chassis, compared to no chassis.
I have also stated publicly that no amplifier that I have ever built sounded better in an aluminium chassis compared to no chassis.
To the best of my ability, I cannot make a metal chassis Power Amplifier better than an uncased Power Amplifier.

Compare, no chassis (air) to plastic chassis/case. I wonder what the difference would be?

Really though? AndrewT you are a technical person, how do you justify this?
Old 15th May 2012, 03:36 PM   #2006
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Jcx or jneutron did some calcs a few month back that showed you needed significant currents in the proximity of ferrous material to cause problems. Steel provides a great shield against EM radiation, and in the case of aluminum/aluminium you get screening from electrostatic coupling provided of course in both cases you take care of grounding etc. iI may be that where there is a perception that an amp sounds worse in an enclosure, there are other issues that are at play eg grounding, cable dressing/routing etc.
Old 15th May 2012, 03:41 PM   #2007
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post

ok ... I like that Andrew ... can you define that and explain it somehow ?
Is there anything we can measure to understand what and why

I take i as a fact that you placed your opinion based on your personal experience I also take as fact that when you say """ every amp I have built sounds worse when mounted in a steel chassis """ but can you explain why ?

Kind regards
Sakis
Old 15th May 2012, 03:54 PM   #2008
diyAudio Member

Andrew, Can you post some pics of your amps.... I don't recall seeing any amp you built??
Old 15th May 2012, 04:44 PM   #2009
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakis View Post
we don't talk about Jim or Ken
I still have an article from the first half of the '90s somewhere on the Pioneer exclusive M8 model, with names.
(but as a team, would be very Un-Japanese and unmodest to place themselves above the only company they'll work for their entire active life)
The M7 is all about solid copper, everything covered and surrounded by it.
Old 16th May 2012, 06:12 AM   #2010
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your opinions
But I created this box to put the transformer inside filling the box with a special material and placing soft feet to reduce vibration.
So far I've done something wrong;

Hide this!Advertise here!