The Very Best Amplifier I Have Ever Heard!!!! - Page 108 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2010, 03:54 PM   #1071
Banned

Source resistors are not needed, MOSFETS do NOT need to be matched in this schematic. I just really don't know how to be any more clear than this

Luke - It comes straight from the bridge rectifier.
Old 1st November 2010, 04:51 PM   #1072
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
Source resistors are not needed, MOSFETS do NOT need to be matched in this schematic. I just really don't know how to be any more clear than this
This issue was discussed here for countless times.
Please, Norbert, as the only real engineer* around here, would you please enlighten* the obviously uninformed* audience WHY this special schematic does not require source resistors? Just claiming it doesn't seems not to satisfy the unenlightened* audience here. I'm sure a detailed technical explanation would prevent this issue from popping up again and again.

*sarcasm
Old 1st November 2010, 05:16 PM   #1073
Krisfr is offline Krisfr  United States
diyAudio Member

Lee:

Please do not kibitz on Nagys engineering skills and PERSONAL knowledge of this amplifiers unique topology. You have to nique up on it, to understand. Just read post 686 and the real deal at (WTF) and famous #666. That should sooth ALL concerns you or anyone might have. Besides you can just just jumper out where the Emitter Resistors would be if you do not want to use them, RIGHT...
Old 1st November 2010, 05:19 PM   #1074
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisfr View Post
Lee:

Besides you can just just jumper out where the Emitter Resistors would be if you do not want to use them, RIGHT...
Not now. The new PCB won't have source resistors.
Old 1st November 2010, 05:25 PM   #1075
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam View Post
........... I also at the time was on the search for the Holy Grail of amplifiers but unfortunately Goldmund was not it. Further along the way I discovered Pass but that is a different story...................

Jam
how dare you ....... ?

( should we see firecrackers all over the world ....... soon ? )

Old 1st November 2010, 05:25 PM   #1076
Krisfr is offline Krisfr  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I meant LEFT overide...
Old 1st November 2010, 05:35 PM   #1077
diyAudio Member

Hi Nagys,

If I were you, I won't even state the fact that the circuit doesn't need source resistor, you had done that too many times already. If there is a necessity, people can still add them. All I have to do is to show that if anyone wants to implement the resistor (if he think that can solve his problem), he can do so with the board. The board has allow the option (w/o bothering alex to change it again). Wouldn't that end the argument? You can do it your way w/o the resistors and they can have it their way to include them. Everybody is happy.
Old 1st November 2010, 05:37 PM   #1078
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Nagys

I hope that you're aware - in your arrogance - that you personally are responsible for every scorched output mosfet , which any delusion-ed DIYa certainly will have , obeying your "no need to match" approach .

you're personally responsible for any possible fire or electrical shock , resulted from malfunction .

repetitive claiming that sort of technical nonsense is just disgusting , at least in my book;

you're playing with both - people's money , and security .

Last edited by Zen Mod; 1st November 2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 1st November 2010, 05:40 PM   #1079
diyAudio Member

Ok, this is post #666:

Quote:
Dougie085 - Why does something have to be 100% perfect? Isn't this a DIY forum? I'm assuming that the potential builders will at least understand the fundamentals of electric circuits and be fairly handy? So lets say one might have to substitute a part, or make something fit better on the board by drilling additional holes, or omitting a part, or modifying the tracks slightly with jumpers, etc. This is all part of the fun and part of building any circuit. This is not meant to be a production PCB.

This is a fairly simple amplifier, with minimum amount of parts. The PCB will no doubt work properly. Everything else is up to each individual builder.
I read from there till post #686:

Quote:
Goldmund's tag line from 80s to 00s for the Mimesis series of amplifiers have always been that one can replace any transistor without matching it. I have repair numerous Goldmund amplifiers, never once did I match any transistors and never once did the amps not perform anything, but 100% like they should. This is no Hafler.
Still no explanation.
But I wonder Nagys had to repair so many broken Goldmund amps and had to replace transistors...

Btw: Everything was finished over 400 post ago as announced in post 661 already:

Quote:
The circuit and PCB board is 100% correct and ready for prime time!
Why is the pcb not manufactured and a prototype built already???
Nagys announced countless times everything is finished now and 100% perfect...

Last edited by Lee Knatta; 1st November 2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 1st November 2010, 06:03 PM   #1080
Banned

Looking at this schematic, or any other for that matter, the MOSFETS "OBVIOUSLY" need to be matched, at least they have to be matched close enough. My mistake I'm still definitely against the source resistors. They're not needed. Just MATCH your MOSFETS! Most MOSFETS from a certain batch will probably already be close enough and no further matching will be required. In worst case scenario, source resistors can be installed as Bigpanda has suggested But that's a band aid and not a proper way of building an amplifier. Point of the story: MATCH your MOSFETS, or at least check them to see if they're already close enough.

Again, sorry to all those who I argued with before.

Hide this!Advertise here!