PCB Layout Questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2010, 07:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PCB Layout Questions

Hello again crew, I'd like to first thank everyone who's helped me though this learning process so far and I hope that I'll be able to give something back in the near future.

My hopefully final 'generic question' is about PCB layout, I have done my best using the PCB express software utilizing 2 layers and assuming that I will be making boards for their standard service (No silkscreen, No soldermask), So pardon the absence of descriptive silkscreen layers.

I'd like some comments on ways that I've setup things and possible better ways to do them, I have provided the two individual layers as well as the combo with and without the silkscreen. In case you notice, I'll place some components on the back of the board, notably the input caps (2x in parallel because it was cheaper), most of the power caps, and the emitter resistors otherwise they wont all fit and it will be really tight. Maybe someone will find some errors too, I hope so...

I made some new symbols based on components I have;
1) The circle with the line on one side is a resistor (stood up on end)
2) The squares on the outputs are emitter resistors that are terminated radially (I thought it would save a lot of space)
3) Large Holes with a fat Yellow Line are the Quick Connects

Thanks again in advance! If anyone is interested I will buy some more of these boards when I get them finished and sell some.
Attached Images
File Type: png Amp1.png (105.6 KB, 459 views)
File Type: png Amp2.png (87.5 KB, 434 views)
File Type: png Amp3.png (76.1 KB, 409 views)
File Type: png Amp4.png (77.4 KB, 401 views)
File Type: png AmpSch.png (86.4 KB, 442 views)

Last edited by buzz1167; 26th September 2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Messed up amp Schematic...
Old 26th September 2010, 02:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Just a few ideas:

You shouldn't draw connections over components in you schematic. This makes the schematic hard to read and very confusing.
A schematic that is easy to read and to understand is a good starting point for a successful pcb layout.

You better don't place component terminals underneath other components bodies. For example the ElCap in the lower left corner. With moving components you could avoid overlapping terminals / bodies.

Your overall design is quite dense what is uncommon for someone not familiar with pcb design and in my opinion a good thing. Components on both sides is okay, imo.

Overall design is very confusing (not a good sign). I can't tell whether you got it right. Missing reference designators make is hard to compare the pcb design with the schematic.
Old 26th September 2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Leon08 is offline Leon08  Germany
Banned

I think it's not good, Where is your ground?
Old 26th September 2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Banned

Lee is right, your schematic is hard to read. You should not connect 4 wires at a crossing, only 3. If you wish to connect a 4th, then it should be offset. Then we can tell when the wires are crossing, and when connected.

Like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Not like this:

When you connect tracks on the PCB you should not create included angles less than 90 degrees, as in the example marked with an 'x'.

These can cause etchant to be trapped at the washing stage and cause problems with boards in later life. While this is a minor point, you should not see features like this on a professionally designed board.

Component outlines should NOT overlap as at 'y', the components should be drawn at the EXACT size. Then if the outlines overlap, the components themselves will clash or be trying to occupy the same space, which is obviously not possible.

In general, tracks should run horizontally, vertically and at 45 degrees with mitres to change direction.

w
Old 26th September 2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Leon08 is offline Leon08  Germany
Banned

I recomend you to look for a ready layout for similar amp and change it according to your requirements. That's hard to make a good layout from scratch.
Old 26th September 2010, 06:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hello,
Would like to post my picture to point you that it is really important to locate power capacitors close to output transistor. Just look at this. Transistor VT1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture.JPG (326.0 KB, 141 views)
Old 26th September 2010, 07:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Grounding is the BIGGEST factor in final results. PMA (member) alerted me to the downfall of larger decoupling caps on the main board and how they "infect" the signal ground even if isolated with the usual 10-22R /double diode "isolation".

The simple solution is the split ground(G1 - G2). Geez , one more green wire (pix1 below) is not a bad price to pay for your small signal devices not to get "slammed" with a dirty ground. At the main power supply one can even isolate the separate clean ground with an inductor/resistor combo. As you can see below (Vee2 /Vcc2- pix2), I can even go "fanatic" and just use a separate supply for the "little stuff" leaving the power stage to sit in the foul cess of dirty power-ground all by it's self. But for a single supply setup the above scheme is the best . BTW , the simple cap multipliers will tame that 2-3v ripple at the main rails down to 5-10mv before they reach those blue/red LED's (power for voltage/input stage) .
OS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greenwire.jpg (117.0 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg PB250V1.2_PCB_overview.jpg (203.6 KB, 181 views)
Old 26th September 2010, 08:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorry I tried to reply earlier on my phone and didnt realize that I just replied to the email :P

To Knatta:
I didn't think about having through hole stuff poke out underneath other components. That will make assembly much more difficult now that I think about it, I'll have to solder same side as a component... I'll go fix those.

To everyone:
The reason the schematic is funny is because of the software I've not used before and it was hard to create, I'll post an updated version using orcad or something, hopefully tonight. I thought that I had to use their software but apparently I didn't so I redrew it all for nothing... Laaame.

I'll try to work out the references on the new schematic so it's easier to look at.

To WakiBaki:

I thought that looked a little funny but I thought it might be ok since they're all going to a single pad, I will work to get rid of these even when they are moving to pads. I started doing everything at 45Degrees but It got complicated at the end and I just got lazy. I'll fix it.

The Silkscreen overlaps because of my statement in the first post, I will be placing those caps on the back side. I forgot to include the NFB and Bias caps in the list. My bad, It shoulnd't interfere when im finished. Is there a way to show that in the schematic? I think they just have 1 silkscreen layer...

Leon
Grounds in the center. Quick topology discussion. Inputs on the left, ground is in center, V+ is top right, V- Bottom Right. Speaker ground and power ground are attached as they come into the quick connect to try and remove those currents from the board. Maybe have two quick connects side by side if I can make them fit.

Devils dance:

I tried to put the output caps by the output transistors but I can get them closer if you think they need to be.

Ostripper:

I tried to seperate the grounds, I attempted to create a star ground in the center of the board. It has only the signal and NFB grounds from the left. The Small signal cap grounds from below, and the output cap and CCs's grounds from the right.

I further was going to attach the speaker ground and the power ground from the power supply to the board together using the crimp from the quick connect, to try to islolate those currents from the board all together.

I have a split ground (3x) on my standard board right now but I was hoping to get rid of that by cleverly doing the above... Do you believe this to be insufficient? or non Ideal? It sounds like you do, and I'd be linclined to believe you.

Thank you for all the input these are all great sugesstions! I will give an update soon I hope.

Last edited by buzz1167; 26th September 2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 26th September 2010, 08:43 PM   #9
alex mm is offline alex mm  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default PCB for you buzz 1167

...this weekend I spend some time in front of my monitor and PCB are ready ?? Hoppe it's help .....
Regards Alex .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIY AMPL.JPG (435.3 KB, 244 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DIY AUDIO AMPL.pdf (126.3 KB, 122 views)
Old 26th September 2010, 08:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

You do the most wonderful work, alex ... want a job ? No, really .. I have looked at your layouts for inspiration.
OS

Hide this!Advertise here!