DC trigger/relay for power conditioner/filter?anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
has anyone a suggested high current electro-mech relay via a dc trigger (12 volts) that I can build into my power conditioner/filter projects so it can be activated via my HT/preprocessor for the amps on a separate dedicated ac line....
and/or with a timer circuit to allow sequencial turn off/on after power surges/brownouts (thunderstorms,etc)
Any help would be very greatly appreciated

Lance said:
and/or with a timer circuit to allow sequencial turn off/on after power surges/brownouts (thunderstorms,etc)

What I've been thinking about is a sequential turn on/off with a delay between the different outlets of the filter. When powering on equipment one should always start from the end and go forwards (source first, power amp last). I'd like to turn on all my components with one switch - the one in the filter. Maybe it's not at all necessary, but it'd be a nice touch if, when pushing the power button of the filter, there was a two second delay between the switching on of the outlets. And ideas how this could be done? Or is it completely unnecessary?

delay sequence idea

R1=22k, R2=220k, K1on=ca 1s, K1off=ca 10s (first on, last off)
R3=47k, R4=100k, K2on=ca 3s, K2off=ca 8s
R5=100k, R6=47k, K3on=ca 5s, K3off=ca 5s
R7=220k, R8=22k, K4on=ca 7s, K4off=ca 3s (last on, first off)

Regards

Attachments

• delayrelay.jpg
    delayrelay.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 332
This would work fine, but could be even simpler - you don't need the schmitt triggers. Re-wire the transistors to be emitter-followers.

That said, you'd want to double-check the off-timings because the relay obviously needs fewer volts to hold on. But this would just require the usual prototyping and experimentation before you built it for real...

HTH,

Mark ;)

mhennessy said:
This would work fine, but could be even simpler - you don't need the schmitt triggers. Re-wire the transistors to be emitter-followers.

Hi, Mark

Schmitt triggers are used for fast switching on-off, what is important when power relays are controlled. Also, input current in schmitt's are very small, i.e. t(on) and t(off) are better determinated and aren't depend of characteristics of relays.. Price of 4093 is under 0,5€.

Regards

moamps said:
Schmitt triggers are used for fast switching on-off, what is important when power relays are controlled.

That's a good point - I'd forgotten that these were switching the mains directly. Actually, you might be able to to advise me on something - I'm currently prototyping a circuit to switch my GainClone monoblocks on/off - it's just some logic for the front panel pushbutton and the 12V trigger input, switching a relay...

For various reasons, I'm using a current source to power the relay coil. Do you think that this is bad idea for the reasons you mention above?

The current source is switched on quickly by the logic, but the inductance of the relay coil will probably slow down the pull-in...

Another thing - I'm wondering about a subber for the relay contacts - say 10n (class X) in series with 100 ohms. I'm undecided because the cap is physically large, and about the same price as the relay! Any experiences here?

Cheers,

Mark ;)

mhennessy said:
For various reasons, I'm using a current source to power the relay coil. Do you think that this is bad idea for the reasons you mention above?

Current source will be OK.IMHO. Just be sure that current value is high enough.

Another thing - I'm wondering about a subber for the relay contacts - say 10n (class X) in series with 100 ohms. I'm undecided because the cap is physically large, and about the same price as the relay! Any experiences here?

This depends of power you switching (and load character). Anyway, I saw snubbers in CDs power switches, in huge consoles PS not, etc. Try without. I didn't use them in my construction.
If PS is big (toroids and huge caps), best way is using soft start circuitry.

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.